Solving Impact Acceleration Homework

In summary, the problem involves a golf ball released from a height of 2.02 m above a concrete floor, bouncing back to a height of 0.86 m. The ball is in contact with the floor for 3.57 ms and the task is to find the magnitude of its average acceleration. However, the .86m bounce back is not irrelevant as it is needed to determine the speed of the ball on the rebound. The attempt at a solution involves finding the initial position and using the equation for acceleration, but the person is stuck and seeking help.
Argento7

Homework Statement

A golf ball released from a height of 2.02 m above a concrete floor, bounces back to a height of 0.86 m. If the ball is in contact with the floor for 3.57 ms( or .00357s), what is the magnitude of the average acceleration a of the ball while it is in contact with the floor?

Homework Equations

Is the .86m bouncing back up irrelevant?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out that the initial position is 2.02m and the initial position is 0m and I cut the time in half and used 9.8 as my acceleration. I'm just really stuck and have gotten myself caught up in so many different equations my brain can not handle it anymore. Any help would work please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Argento7 said:

Homework Statement

A golf ball released from a height of 2.02 m above a concrete floor, bounces back to a height of 0.86 m. If the ball is in contact with the floor for 3.57 ms( or .00357s), what is the magnitude of the average acceleration a of the ball while it is in contact with the floor?

Homework Equations

Is the .86m bouncing back up irrelevant?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out that the initial position is 2.02m and the initial position is 0m and I cut the time in half and used 9.8 as my acceleration. I'm just really stuck and have gotten myself caught up in so many different equations my brain can not handle it anymore. Any help would work please.

You need how far it bounces back to determine the speed it left the floor on the rebound, just as you need the height to determine the speed it hit the floor.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems systematically and use the appropriate equations and methods to find a solution. In this case, we can use the equation for average acceleration, which is a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time. In this problem, the initial velocity is 0 m/s since the ball is released from rest, and the final velocity is unknown. Therefore, we need to find the final velocity first.

To find the final velocity, we can use the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad, where d is the displacement, which in this case is the height of the ball after bouncing, 0.86 m. Plugging in the values, we get vf = √(0^2 + 2(9.8)(0.86)) = 3.17 m/s.

Now that we have the final velocity, we can plug it into the equation for average acceleration. We also need to convert the time from milliseconds to seconds, so it becomes 0.00357 s. Therefore, the average acceleration is a = (3.17 - 0)/0.00357 = 887.3 m/s^2.

In conclusion, the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball while it is in contact with the floor is 887.3 m/s^2. It is important to note that this is the average acceleration, which means that the ball may have experienced different accelerations during its contact with the floor, but this is the overall magnitude.

Related to Solving Impact Acceleration Homework

What is the purpose of "Solving Impact Acceleration Homework"?

The purpose of "Solving Impact Acceleration Homework" is to use scientific methods and principles to analyze and solve real-world problems related to impact acceleration. This can include understanding the causes of impact, predicting the effects of impact, and finding ways to mitigate its impacts.

What are some common methods used to solve impact acceleration problems?

Some common methods used to solve impact acceleration problems include mathematical modeling, computer simulations, and experimental testing. These methods allow scientists to understand the forces and dynamics involved in impact and come up with solutions to reduce its effects.

Why is it important to solve impact acceleration problems?

Solving impact acceleration problems is important because impacts can have devastating effects on people, structures, and the environment. By understanding and mitigating the factors that contribute to impact, we can improve safety, prevent damage, and save lives.

What fields of science are involved in solving impact acceleration problems?

Solving impact acceleration problems involves a combination of physics, engineering, and materials science. These fields provide the knowledge and tools necessary to analyze and predict the effects of impact and come up with solutions to reduce its impact.

What are some potential solutions for reducing the impact of collisions?

Some potential solutions for reducing the impact of collisions include designing structures with shock-absorbing materials, creating barriers or cushioning systems, and developing safety equipment such as helmets and seatbelts. Other solutions may involve changing the design or materials of vehicles or improving road and traffic systems to prevent collisions from occurring in the first place.