Average acceleration of impact of ball.

In summary: You could calculate the acceleration and then use that to find the distance fallen.In summary, a ball with a speed of 16.1 m/s collides with a concrete floor and bounces upwards at 3.4 m/s. The collision takes 1.1 ms and the question asks for the magnitude of the average acceleration. Using the equation s = ut + ½ at^2, the average acceleration is found to be 19500 m/s^2. However, there is a discrepancy between this answer and the expected answer, causing hesitation to attempt the question again. Additionally, there is a second part to the question that involves finding the maximum deformation of the ball, but the given information may not be consistent enough to
danny20051
A ball travels vertically downwards until it hits a concrete floor with speed 16.1-m/s. It then bounces vertically upwards at 3.4-m/s. Examination of a high speed video shows that the collision took 1.1-ms. Considering just the collision, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration?

b)
For some balls, the acceleration of the center of the ball, in a collision like this, is fairly constant. So, assuming constant acceleration, what is the maximum deformation of the ball? (i.e. what is the maximum distance that the center of the ball travels downwards?)

I believe this should be delta V/time, however the answer comes out wrong.
I have 3 attempts at the question and each wrong answer 33.3% of the mark is lost so I'm scared to attempt the question again without being certain.

There is also part b) which I have 0 idea how to even start.

So what I have done is:

(3.4+16.1)/0.0011 = 19500 (edit: divided by 0.001, should be 17727.273. Is this correct?)

0.0011 for time as it was given in milliseconds

As for direction it asks for magnitude so it should be irrelevant

I also found this thread and it seems like I'm doing it right so I'm really confused.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-acceleration-during-point-of-impact.797568/

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Danny

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the answer is supposed to be in m/s2, your answer looks right to me. Don't quote an unjustifiable number of significant digits.

Thanks, yeh was correct .

Any ideas on part b? Have 0 idea where to even start.

danny20051 said:
Thanks, yeh was correct .

Any ideas on part b? Have 0 idea where to even start.
What equations do you know related to constant acceleration in one dimension? SUVAT?

s = ut + ½ at^2

Am i meant to use this equation?
If so why? I don't quite understand the question.

danny20051 said:
s = ut + ½ at^2

Am i meant to use this equation?
If so why? I don't quite understand the question.
That is one of five standard SUVAT equations. There are five variables, s, u, v, a, t, each equation involves four of them. You need to pick the equation which involves the three whose value you know and the one which you are trying to find.
A complication here is that they have given you inconsistent information! If the acceleration were truly constant through the whole process then it would rebound with the same speed. (Alternatively, it would lose contact with the ground before reaching the height at which it originally made contact, because the balls is still deformed and not exapnding fast enough.)
You could just consider the downward movement. You know the initial speed, the final speed and the time.

What is the definition of average acceleration of impact of ball?

The average acceleration of impact of ball is the measure of the change in velocity of a ball when it collides with another object, divided by the time it takes for the collision to occur. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the change in velocity.

How is average acceleration of impact of ball calculated?

The formula for average acceleration of impact of ball is a = (Vf - Vi) / t, where a is the average acceleration, Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time it takes for the collision to occur.

What factors can affect the average acceleration of impact of ball?

The average acceleration of impact of ball can be affected by factors such as the mass and speed of the ball, the material and shape of the ball, the material and shape of the object it is colliding with, and any external forces acting on the ball during the collision.

What are the units of measurement for average acceleration of impact of ball?

The units of measurement for average acceleration of impact of ball are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system or feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system. These units represent the change in velocity over time.

Why is average acceleration of impact of ball important in the study of physics?

The average acceleration of impact of ball is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand the motion and behavior of objects during collisions. It also allows us to predict and analyze the outcome of collisions, which is crucial in fields such as sports, engineering, and vehicle safety.