Solving Inequalities with c and n: How-To Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a value for c and an integer n0 that satisfies the inequality 16n log(n²) ≤ cn². The solution provided is c = 32, but the person solving the problem arrives at c = 17 using a brute force approach. They inquire about the proper method for solving the equation and suggest graphing as a possible solution.
discy

Homework Statement

4. Give a c > 0 and an integer n0 ≥ 1 such that, for all n ≥ n0.

b. 16n log (n²) ≤ cn²

The answer (from the sheet) is c = 32

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I attempt to solve such an equation I start at n=1, then go to n=2. but that way I get the answer c=17.

I understand this is kind of a brute force attack. I would like to know what the proper way would be to solve this equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can fiddle with the equation a little to get

32 log(n)/n ≤ c

Then you can graph it to find the maximum of the left-hand-side. However, that turns out to be about 11.72 for n = 3. (Presuming n is an integer.) Maybe I'm misinterpreting something -- I don't see where the "32" answer comes from, or your "17" for that matter.

1. What are inequalities and why do we need to solve them?

Inequalities are mathematical expressions that compare two quantities or values. They are represented using symbols such as <, >, ≤, ≥, and ≠. We need to solve inequalities in order to find the range of values that satisfy the given conditions. This helps us make decisions and solve real-world problems.

2. How do I solve inequalities with c and n?

To solve inequalities with c and n, you need to follow these steps:

• Step 1: Simplify the expressions on both sides of the inequality
  • Step 2: Isolate the variable by performing the inverse operation on both sides
  • Step 3: If the variable is multiplied or divided by a negative number, flip the inequality sign
  • Step 4: Check your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality

3. Can I use the same steps to solve all types of inequalities?

Yes, the steps to solve inequalities with c and n are the same for all types of inequalities, including linear, quadratic, and exponential inequalities. However, the process may vary slightly depending on the type of inequality and the expressions involved.

4. How do I know if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting it into the original inequality and simplifying both sides. If the resulting inequality is true, then your solution is correct. If the resulting inequality is false, then your solution is incorrect and you need to go back and check your work.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving inequalities with c and n?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving inequalities with c and n include:

• Forgetting to flip the inequality sign when multiplying or dividing by a negative number
  • Not simplifying expressions on both sides of the inequality before solving
  • Skipping steps or not showing all of your work
  • Forgetting to check your solution
  • Performing incorrect inverse operations