Solving Integral Equation for u(x)

In summary: This might be the complete wrong idea, but I don't see it in another way.In summary, the student was trying to solve for u(x), but was unsuccessful. They attempted to use the quadratic formula, converted to log notation and differentiated, but were not able to solve for u(x). They thought they could use something on the lines of the log-definitions of the inverse trig functions, but this did not work. They then attempted to solve for u(x) using a Riccati equation, but this did not work either. They were then able to approximate u(x) using Green's functions.
foxjwill

Homework Statement

Solve for u(x):

[tex]0 = e^{2\int u(x) dx} + u(x) e^{\int u(x) dx} - a(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the quadratic formula,

[tex]e^{\int u(x) dx} = \frac{-u(x) \pm \sqrt{u^2(x) + 4a(x)}}{2}[/tex]

, converting to log notation and differentiating, but from there I didn't know how to solve for u(x). I thought maybe I could use something on the lines of the log-definitions of the inverse trig functions. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
what are the limits on the integration? if they are fixed then [itex]\int dx u(x)[/itex] is just a number (call it C) and
[tex]
u=(a-e^{2 C})/e^{C}
[/tex]

You could convert it to a differential equation and try to solve this, however it turns out that this new differential equation is severely determined by the unknown function a(x). In order to do this, set:

[tex]e^{\int u(x)dx}=f(x)[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]u(x)=\frac{1}{f(x)}\frac{df(x)}{dx}[/tex]

And putting this into the equation gives:

[tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}+[f(x)]^2=a(x)[/tex]

This is a Riccati equation, which can be transformed into a linear one by transforming:

[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{u(x)}\frac{du(x)}{dx}[/tex]

So:

[tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}=-\frac{1}{[u(x)]^2}\left(\frac{du(x)}{dx}\right)^2 +\frac{1}{u(x)} \frac{d^2u(x)}{dx^2}[/tex]

The equation becomes:

[tex]\frac{d^2u(x)}{dx^2}-u(x)\cdot a(x)=0[/tex]

And this one can be solved if a(x) is known. P.e. a(x)=-1 gives sin and cos functions, a(x)=x gives airy functions, a(x)=1 gives hyperbolic ones, etc.

This might be the complete wrong idea, but I don't see it in another way.

[Edit] Someone was faster...

coomast said:
You could convert it to a differential equation and try to solve this, however it turns out that this new differential equation is severely determined by the unknown function a(x). In order to do this, set:

[tex]e^{\int u(x)dx}=f(x)[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]u(x)=\frac{1}{f(x)}\frac{df(x)}{dx}[/tex]

And putting this into the equation gives:

[tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}+[f(x)]^2=a(x)[/tex]

This is a Riccati equation, which can be transformed into a linear one by transforming:

[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{u(x)}\frac{du(x)}{dx}[/tex]

So:

[tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}=-\frac{1}{[u(x)]^2}\left(\frac{du(x)}{dx}\right)^2 +\frac{1}{u(x)} \frac{d^2u(x)}{dx^2}[/tex]

The equation becomes:

And this one can be solved if a(x) is known. P.e. a(x)=-1 gives sin and cos functions, a(x)=x gives airy functions, a(x)=1 gives hyperbolic ones, etc.

This might be the complete wrong idea, but I don't see it in another way.

[Edit] Someone was faster...

Actually, I got the integral equation by trying to solve

foxjwill, to my knowledge there is no solution in terms of a(x). As I pointed out the solution depends so heavily on this function a(x) that you can't solve it without knowing it explicitly. The few examples I gave did show this, no? A sin or cos function compared to a hyperbolic one or even an Airy function (which is closely related to the functions of Bessel) are so different, even for the simple assumed functions of a(x) equal to -1, 1 and x. Maybe there is an explicit integral representation of the solution, but I think it will be closely related to the one you originally posted.

also, you could try using Green's functions and getting an approximation... the utility of this approach probably depends on the form of a(x). E.g., find the "homogeneous" solutions
[tex]
\frac{d^2 f}{dx^2}=0
[/tex]
and the "free" green's function
[tex]
\frac{d^2}{dx^2}G(x,x')=\delta(x-x')
[/tex]
and then consider the term
[tex]
u(x)a(x)
[/tex]
as an inhomogeneous term so that the "solution" is given by
[tex]
u(x)=f(x)+\int dx' G(x,x')a(x')u(x')
[/tex]

Then, supposing u(x) is only a little different from f(x) once can develop succesive approximations for u(x) as
[tex]
u(x)\approx f(x) + \int dx' G(x,x')a(x')f(x')+\int dx' G(x,x')a(x')\int dx'' G(x',x'')a(x'')f(x'')+\ldots
[/tex]

Related to Solving Integral Equation for u(x)

1. What is an integral equation and how is it different from a regular equation?

An integral equation is an equation in which the unknown function appears under an integral sign. This means that the solution of the equation involves finding the function that satisfies the integral, rather than just a numerical value. This is different from a regular equation, where the unknown variable can be solved for algebraically.

2. What is the process for solving an integral equation?

The process for solving an integral equation involves finding a function that satisfies the given integral. This can be done by using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration by parts. The solution may also involve using boundary conditions or other additional information.

3. How can integral equations be applied in real-world situations?

Integral equations have many applications in science and engineering, including physics, biology, and economics. They can be used to model and solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and other complex relationships.

4. What are some common challenges when solving integral equations?

Some common challenges when solving integral equations include finding the correct approach or method to solve the equation, dealing with complicated boundary conditions, and determining the appropriate range of integration. It may also be difficult to find an analytical solution, requiring the use of numerical methods.

5. Are there any tips or strategies for solving integral equations?

Some tips for solving integral equations include carefully studying the given equation and identifying any patterns or relationships, using known techniques and formulas, and breaking down the integral into simpler parts if possible. It may also be helpful to consult with colleagues or reference materials for additional insight.