Solving Klein-Gordon PDE w/ Change of Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution of a Klein-Gordon PDE in a textbook using a change of variables. The original PDE is written in terms of the new variables and the boundary conditions are derived using the definitions of the variables. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the boundary conditions and their relation to the new variables.
yonatan
Hi.
I'm following the solution of a Klein-Gordon PDE in a textbook. The equation is
[tex]\begin{align}
k_{xx}(x,y) - k_{yy}(x,y) &= \lambda k(x,y) \\
k(x,0) &= 0 \\
k(x,x) &= - \frac{\lambda}{2} x
\end{align}
[/tex]
The book uses a change of variables
[tex]$\xi = x+y$, $\eta = x-y$[/tex]
to write
[tex]\begin{align}
k(x,y) &= G(\xi,\eta)\\
k_{xx} &= G_{\xi \xi} + 2G_{\xi \eta} + G_{\eta \eta}\\
k_{yy} &= G_{\xi \xi} - 2G_{\xi \eta} + G__{\eta \eta}
\end{align}[/tex]
and then they write the original PDE as
[tex]\begin{align}
G_{\xi \eta}(\xi,\eta) &= \frac{\lambda}{4} G(\xi,\eta),\\
G(\xi,\xi) &= 0,\\
G(\xi,0) &= - \frac{\lambda}{4} \xi
\end{align}
[/tex]
I'm fine with the first line in the new PDE, but the other two, the boundary conditions, i don't get how they arrive at.

Can somebody help me understand? I'll be much appreciative :-)

J.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Basically just check the definition!

k(x,y)=G(xi,eta)

In the first boundary condition, k(x,0)=0.
now what does y=0 mean? xi=x+y and eta=x-y, hence y=0 means: xi=x and eta=x, hence xi=eta, hence k(x,0)=G(xi,xi)=0

similarly for the second one..

I see, thanks. Would it then be the same, for the case k(x,0)=0, where y=0 and xi=eta, to write G(eta,eta)=0?

Absolutely! :)

Hello,

I can help you understand the derivation of the boundary conditions in the new PDE using the change of variables. First, let's take a look at the original PDE and its boundary conditions:
\begin{align}
k_{xx}(x,y) - k_{yy}(x,y) &= \lambda k(x,y) \\
k(x,0) &= 0 \\
k(x,x) &= - \frac{\lambda}{2} x
\end{align}

Using the change of variables $\xi = x+y$ and $\eta = x-y$, we can rewrite the original PDE as:
\begin{equation}
k_{\xi \xi}(\xi,\eta) - k_{\eta \eta}(\xi,\eta) = \lambda k(\xi,\eta)
\end{equation}

Now, let's look at the boundary conditions. The first one, $k(x,0) = 0$, can be rewritten as $k(\xi,\eta) = 0$ when $\eta = 0$ (since $\xi = x+y$ and $\eta = x-y$, $x = \frac{\xi+\eta}{2}$). This means that at the line $\eta = 0$, the function $k$ is equal to 0 for all values of $\xi$.

For the second boundary condition, $k(x,x) = - \frac{\lambda}{2} x$, we can use the same substitution to rewrite it as $k(\xi,\eta) = -\frac{\lambda}{2} \xi$ when $\xi = \eta$ (since $x = \frac{\xi+\eta}{2}$ and $y = \frac{\xi-\eta}{2}$). This means that at the line $\xi = \eta$, the function $k$ is equal to $-\frac{\lambda}{2} \xi$ for all values of $\xi$.

Substituting these boundary conditions into the rewritten PDE, we get:
\begin{align}
k_{\xi \xi}(\xi,\eta) - k_{\eta \eta}(\xi,\eta) &= \lambda k(\xi,\eta) \\
k(\xi,0) &= 0 \\
k(\xi,\xi) &= - \frac{\lambda}{2} \xi
\end{align}

I hope this helps you understand the

Related to Solving Klein-Gordon PDE w/ Change of Variables

1. What is a Klein-Gordon PDE?

A Klein-Gordon PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in space and time. It is commonly used in quantum field theory to model particles with spin 0.

2. Why is it important to solve Klein-Gordon PDEs with a change of variables?

Solving Klein-Gordon PDEs with a change of variables allows for a simpler and more efficient solution of the equation. It also helps to uncover underlying symmetries and patterns in the solution.

3. What is the process for solving a Klein-Gordon PDE with a change of variables?

The process for solving a Klein-Gordon PDE with a change of variables involves transforming the original equation into a new form, usually by substituting a new set of variables. This new equation can then be solved using traditional methods, and the solution can be transformed back to the original variables.

4. Are there any limitations to using a change of variables to solve a Klein-Gordon PDE?

Yes, there are limitations to using a change of variables to solve a Klein-Gordon PDE. The transformation must be well-defined and invertible, and it should not introduce any singularities or discontinuities in the solution.

5. Are there any real-life applications of solving Klein-Gordon PDEs with a change of variables?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of solving Klein-Gordon PDEs with a change of variables. Some examples include modeling vibrations in a string, predicting the behavior of subatomic particles, and studying the propagation of electromagnetic waves.