Solving LAG Issues in IP Cameras - Hello Forum

• Thread starter fisico30
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cameras
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with an IP camera having a lag when streaming data into a browser. The problem is attributed to bandwidth and the suggestion is made to use Internet Explorer for optimal performance. It is also mentioned that the camera may not be compatible with other browsers and it is recommended to contact the camera's support group for further assistance.
fisico30
Hello Forum,

I have an IP camera that has some amount of LAG from when the movement occurs to when it shows up in the browser.
What causes that? If I bought a more expensive camera would it the lag disappear?

the camera works well with Internet Explorer (remotely). but It is terrible with Safari, Chrome, etc...when I try to access it from the internet...

fisico30

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you are streaming data into your browser. If you're accessing remotely via the internet then I'm guessing the problem is bandwidth. Videos contain a very large amount of data and you would need a fairly hefty connection to get a good framerate from a raw camera feed. This isn't like watching a video on yourtube for example as those videos are encoded in a different format that compresses the information specifically with the purpose of viewing on the internet.

Your camera most likely doesn't do that.

Hello Routaran,

I have heard that the camera works well with IE but not well with Fixefox or Chrome...
Not related to bandwidth this time...

Thanks,
fisico30

Then I would suggest using IE with this camera. Some programs simply don't play well together. I use SharePoint at work and unless I use IE, the system simply doesn't work the way its supposed to.
Trying to troubleshoot the other browsers as there may simply not be possible. The best place to ask would be the Camera's support group. Fire them an email/post on their message board and find out if this device is compatible with the other browsers.

Thank you for bringing this issue to the forum. As a fellow scientist, I understand the frustration of dealing with lag issues in IP cameras. From my experience, there are a few potential causes for this problem and buying a more expensive camera may not necessarily solve it.

One possible cause of the lag could be the camera's hardware capabilities. Cheaper cameras may have lower processing power or lower quality sensors, resulting in slower response times. However, it is also important to consider the network connection and bandwidth. If the camera is not receiving enough bandwidth, it can cause delays in transmitting the video feed to the browser.

Another factor to consider is the type of browser being used. Some browsers may have better compatibility with certain cameras, resulting in smoother performance. It is worth trying different browsers to see if the lag persists.

In terms of the camera working well with Internet Explorer but not with other browsers, this could be due to differences in the way each browser handles video streaming. It is possible that the camera's software is optimized for Internet Explorer, resulting in better performance.

In conclusion, while buying a more expensive camera may improve its capabilities, it is important to also consider other factors such as network connection and browser compatibility. I would suggest experimenting with different browsers and checking for any network issues before investing in a new camera. I hope this helps and please keep us updated on your progress.

1. What causes lag in IP cameras?

Lag in IP cameras can be caused by a variety of factors, including network congestion, insufficient bandwidth, outdated hardware or firmware, and poor camera placement.

2. How can I troubleshoot lag in my IP camera?

To troubleshoot lag in your IP camera, you can try checking your network speed and bandwidth, updating your camera's firmware, adjusting camera placement, and making sure there are no other devices using a significant amount of bandwidth on the same network.

3. Can using a wired connection help with lag in IP cameras?

Yes, using a wired connection instead of a wireless one can often improve lag in IP cameras. Wired connections typically have faster and more stable data transfer speeds, reducing the likelihood of lag.

4. Is there a way to optimize my IP camera settings to reduce lag?

Yes, there are several settings that can be adjusted to improve the performance of your IP camera and reduce lag. These include adjusting the frame rate, resolution, and compression settings, as well as enabling features like motion detection and video buffering.

5. Are there any other solutions for solving lag in IP cameras?

In some cases, using a dedicated network for your IP cameras or investing in a higher quality camera can also help reduce lag. Additionally, regularly maintaining and updating your network equipment and using a strong password for your camera can also improve performance and security.