Solving Lens Image Problem: Where is Image Formed?

In summary, the lens image problem is the challenge of determining the location and characteristics of an image formed by a lens, which is important for various applications. The location of an image formed by a lens is determined by the principles of geometric optics, while factors such as lens type, distance, curvature, and refractive index can influence its formation. The characteristics of an image formed by a lens can be determined through mathematical calculations, and common techniques for solving lens image problems include the thin lens equation, ray tracing, and the laws of reflection and refraction. Computer software and simulations can also be used for more complex problems.
jmb07
An object 1.95 cm high is placed 11.2 cm in front of a convex mirror with a radius of curvature of 9.8 cm. Where is the image formed??

So i know Di= (Doxf)/(Do+f)...(11.2 x 9.8)/ (11.2 + 9.8) = 5.23 cm

However, the correct answer is 3.41 cm

What am i doing wrong here? I know that the 9.8 may not be the focal length but how do i relate the height to the focal length??

Physics news on Phys.org
Focal length of the convex mirror = R/2 = 9.8/2 = 4.9 cm.

do i even need to use the height of the object??...if so how?

nevermind i got it! thanks!

Related to Solving Lens Image Problem: Where is Image Formed?

1. What is the lens image problem and why is it important?

The lens image problem refers to the challenge of determining the location and characteristics of an image formed by a lens. This is important because understanding where an image is formed can help us to accurately interpret and use images in various applications, such as photography, microscopy, and medical imaging.

2. How is the location of an image formed by a lens determined?

The location of an image formed by a lens is determined by the principles of geometric optics. Specifically, the image is formed at the point where the light rays passing through the lens converge or diverge, depending on the type of lens and the location of the object.

3. What factors influence the formation of an image by a lens?

The formation of an image by a lens is influenced by several factors, including the type of lens (e.g. convex, concave), the distance between the object and the lens, the curvature of the lens, and the refractive index of the lens material. Additionally, the wavelength of light and any aberrations in the lens can also affect the formation of the image.

4. How can the characteristics of an image formed by a lens be determined?

The characteristics of an image formed by a lens, such as its size, orientation, and clarity, can be determined through mathematical calculations using the principles of geometric optics. These calculations take into account the distance between the object and the lens, the focal length of the lens, and the magnification of the lens.

5. What are some common techniques for solving lens image problems?

Some common techniques for solving lens image problems include using the thin lens equation, ray tracing, and the laws of reflection and refraction. These methods involve using mathematical equations and diagrams to determine the location and characteristics of an image formed by a lens. Additionally, computer software and simulations can also be used to solve more complex lens image problems.