Solving ln(x)=b x^2 for Exactly One Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculus problem where the goal is to find the value of b that makes the equation ln(x)=b x^{2} have exactly one solution, and not 0. After providing hints and analyzing the behavior of the function, the solution is found to be b=1/2e. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement of the helpful hints and the solution.
fyziky
the question is simple but i can't seem to think of a solution.
for what b>0 does ln(x)=b x[tex]^{2}[/tex] have exactly one solution, and not 0.
I've tried playing with ln rules but can't seem to think of a solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a pretty good calculus problem, but it's definitely not as simple as fiddling with rules of logarithms. (Or maybe it is and I'm not seeing it, there's always that possibility!)

Here are some hints on a method for solving it:

1) Consider the function [itex] f(x) = bx^2 - \ln x [/itex]. Finding a solution to the original problem is the same as finding a zero of this function.
2) Analyze the behavior of this function. For what x is it defined? What happens near zero? As x goes to infinity? Where are the local maxima/minima, etc?
3) The analysis in 2) will lead you to the special circumstances (ie, value of b) where the function has only one zero. That's your answer. The answer is kind of elegant.

If you get stuck, post in this thread. I or others will help you.

thank you very much for the hints but unfortunately I am still stuck. I still am unable to solve for the zeros, and when i use maple the answer i get is dependent on the lambert function. when i try different plots varying my b i get one zero when b=1/2e. maybe that is the solution but i still don't know how i would solve it independently.

That is the answer. But you don't need the Lambert W function to find it; you can do it with first semester calculus.

Let me follow up on some of my hints:

[tex]f(x) = bx^2 - \ln x [/tex]

[tex]f'(x) = 2bx - \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

[tex] 2bx - \frac{1}{x} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2b} = x^2[/tex]

So we know that we have just one local minima/maxima, at [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2b}} [/itex].

Also,

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x) = \infty [/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) = \infty [/tex]

So what can we say about the zeros of f based on these facts?

thank you hgfalling you are wise.
Since f(x) approaches infinity from both directions and we do have a max/min value it must be a min. also since it approaches infinity from both sides if the min is negative it will cross the X axis twice so to have a unique solution thi min must be the zero. using the min value you showed earlier:
ln((2b)^(1/2))=b((2b)^(-1/2))^2=(1/2)
(1/2)ln(2b)=(1/2)
ln(2b)=-1
2b=e^-1
b=1/2e
!
thanks again

Related to Solving ln(x)=b x^2 for Exactly One Solution

1. What is the purpose of solving ln(x)=b x^2 for exactly one solution?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find the value of x that satisfies the equation and leads to only one solution. This is important in mathematical and scientific applications where having multiple solutions can lead to errors or inconsistencies.

2. How do you solve ln(x)=b x^2 for exactly one solution?

To solve this equation for one solution, you can use the substitution method. First, substitute u = ln(x) into the equation to get u = b x^2. Then, take the natural log of both sides to get ln(u) = ln(b x^2). From there, you can use properties of logarithms to simplify the equation and solve for x.

3. Can this equation have more than one solution?

No, this equation can only have one solution. This is because the natural logarithm function ln(x) is a one-to-one function, meaning it only has one output for every input. Additionally, the quadratic term b x^2 ensures that the equation only has one solution.

4. What are the possible values of x that satisfy this equation?

The possible values of x that satisfy this equation depend on the value of b. If b is positive, then there will be only one positive solution. If b is negative, there will be no real solutions. If b is equal to zero, there will be one solution at x=1.

5. How is solving ln(x)=b x^2 for exactly one solution useful in science?

Solving this equation for one solution is useful in science because it allows for more accurate and precise calculations. In fields such as physics and chemistry, having multiple solutions can lead to errors in predicting outcomes or determining properties of substances. By finding one solution, scientists can have more confidence in their results and conclusions.