Solving Logarithm Inequality Log x ((x+3)/(x-1)) > Log x x

In summary, there are four conditions for the inequality: -1 > x > 3, x > -3, x > 0, and x ≠ 1. The solutions should be written out as stated in English and incompatible conditions should be replaced with no solutions. If seeking help for solving the inequality, post in the homework forum and include attempted work in the post.
pietersandi_w
Log x ((x+3)/(x-1) > Log x x ??

I've managed to find 4 conditions for this inequality:
1. -1 > x > 3
2. x > -3
3. x > 0
4. x ≠ 1

but I'm not sure how to write the solution. Is it " 0 < x & 1 < 0 < 3 " ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
pietersandi_w said:
1. -1 > x > 3

I think you mistyped what this is supposed to be.

If you have multiple conditions, just write them out the way you would state them in English. For example, if I asked for the solutions to |x|>1 I would write "x>1 or x<-1". If someone asked for the solutions to |x2-4| > 1, I would write " x>sqrt(5) or -sqrt(3)<x<sqrt(3) or x<-sqrt(5)".

Notice you will never have an and condition. If you wrote something like " 1<x<5 and 2<x<7" you should just replace that with "2<x<5". If you have two conditions that are incompatible, just say there are no solutions rather than writing something like "1<x<3 and 5<x<6"

Office_Shredder said:
I think you mistyped what this is supposed to be.

If you have multiple conditions, just write them out the way you would state them in English. For example, if I asked for the solutions to |x|>1 I would write "x>1 or x<-1". If someone asked for the solutions to |x2-4| > 1, I would write " x>sqrt(5) or -sqrt(3)<x<sqrt(3) or x<-sqrt(5)".

Notice you will never have an and condition. If you wrote something like " 1<x<5 and 2<x<7" you should just replace that with "2<x<5". If you have two conditions that are incompatible, just say there are no solutions rather than writing something like "1<x<3 and 5<x<6"

Hi. Thank you for the reply.

Could you help me to find x that would satisfy the inequality?

If you want help solving a homework or homework-style question, you should post in the homework forum and follow the template there. Most importantly make sure to show what work you have attempted already in your post.

Related to Solving Logarithm Inequality Log x ((x+3)/(x-1)) > Log x x

1. What is a logarithm inequality?

A logarithm inequality is an inequality that involves logarithmic functions. It compares the values of two logarithmic expressions and uses the properties of logarithms to solve for the variable.

2. What are the steps for solving a logarithm inequality?

The steps for solving a logarithm inequality are: 1) Simplify the logarithmic expressions on both sides of the inequality, 2) Use the properties of logarithms to get the variable out of the logarithm, 3) Solve the resulting algebraic equation, and 4) Check the solution by plugging it back into the original inequality.

3. How do I solve the inequality Log x ((x+3)/(x-1)) > Log x x?

To solve this logarithm inequality, you would first simplify the expressions using the quotient and power properties of logarithms. Then, you would get the variable out of the logarithm by using the inverse property of logarithms. Finally, you would solve the resulting equation and check the solution.

4. What is the domain of the inequality Log x ((x+3)/(x-1)) > Log x x?

The domain of this inequality is all real numbers except for x = 0, x = 1, and x = -3. This is because the logarithmic expressions are undefined for those values of x.

5. Can I solve this inequality graphically?

Yes, you can solve this inequality graphically by graphing the two logarithmic functions and finding the values of x that make the first function greater than the second function. However, it is important to also check the solution algebraically to ensure its accuracy.