Solving Mass Collapse Problem: Total Time & Homogeneity

In summary, the conversation discusses the collapse of a ball of dust due to gravity and the questions of finding the total time of collapse and proving that it remains homogeneous. The use of conservation of momentum and Gauss's law were mentioned in attempting to solve these questions. The idea of uniform density and the proportional gravitational force at any point within the sphere were also brought up, with the equation of motion resembling a harmonic oscillator. It was suggested that the position of test particles remains proportional to their starting position throughout the fall, leading to uniformity in the sphere.
rsd_sosu
Consider a ball of dust mass M, Radius R stats from rest and collapses due to gravity.

Q. Find total time of collapse.
This I am currently working on I believe I can show this using conservation of momentum.

Q. Prove that it remains homogeneous
Dose anyone have any ideas on this one, I am sure I have done this before. I have tried proving it using gauss's law by setting up gauss sphere's inside and out but I am missing something.

Thanks for any help
Robert

Physics news on Phys.org
If the ball starts off with uniform density you should find that the gravitational force at any point within the sphere is directly proportional to the distance from the center. You can set up the equation of motion for test particles at any distance from the center and the equation will essentially look like a harmonic oscillator!

You should be able to see from the solution that the position of anyone of those test particles remains directly proportional to its starting position throughout its fall. E.g. a particle starting near the surface always remains twice as far from the surface as a particle that started halfway between the center and the surface. Apply the argument to all test particles and you have - UNIFORMITY! :-)

To find the total time of collapse, you can use the equation for gravitational potential energy: U = -G(Mm)/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the ball of dust, m is the mass of the collapsing particle, and r is the distance between the two masses. As the particle collapses, its distance from the center of the ball decreases, causing the potential energy to increase. This increase in potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the particle to gain speed. You can use conservation of energy to set the initial potential energy (when the particle is at rest) equal to the final kinetic energy (when the particle reaches the center of the ball) to solve for the total time of collapse.

To prove that the ball of dust remains homogeneous during the collapse, you can use the fact that the gravitational force is directly proportional to the mass of the object. As the particle collapses, its mass increases, causing the force of gravity to increase as well. However, this increase in force will be evenly distributed throughout the entire ball of dust, ensuring that the density remains constant. Therefore, the ball of dust remains homogeneous throughout the collapse.

Alternatively, you can use Gauss's law to prove homogeneity. As the particle collapses, the gravitational field inside the ball of dust will also increase. However, this increase in field strength will be evenly distributed throughout the ball, maintaining homogeneity. You can set up a Gaussian surface inside the ball and use Gauss's law to show that the gravitational field is constant at any point inside the ball, thus proving homogeneity.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Solving Mass Collapse Problem: Total Time & Homogeneity

1. What is the mass collapse problem?

The mass collapse problem refers to the phenomenon of matter collapsing under its own gravity, leading to the formation of structures such as stars, galaxies, and clusters of galaxies. It is a fundamental process in the evolution of the universe.

2. Why is it important to understand the total time of mass collapse?

Understanding the total time of mass collapse is crucial for accurately predicting the evolution of the universe and the formation of structures. It also allows us to study the properties of dark matter, which plays a significant role in the mass collapse process.

3. What factors affect the total time of mass collapse?

The total time of mass collapse is influenced by the amount and distribution of matter, as well as the expansion rate of the universe. The presence of dark matter and dark energy also play a significant role in determining the total time of mass collapse.

4. How is homogeneity related to the mass collapse problem?

Homogeneity, or the uniform distribution of matter, is essential for accurately predicting the total time of mass collapse. In a homogeneous universe, the gravitational collapse is more uniform, and the formation of structures is more predictable.

5. What methods are used to study the mass collapse problem?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models, computer simulations, and observations to study the mass collapse problem. They also rely on data from experiments, such as those conducted at particle accelerators, to understand the properties of fundamental particles that make up matter.