Solving Momentum & Force for Car & Truck Collision

In summary, an expert summarizer of content provided a summary of the following conversation. The collision between a truck and a car results in the car's mass being five times more than the truck's mass. Newton's third law is proven when it is determined that the time it takes for the cars to come to a halt is the same. To prove that the masses come to rest momentarily at the same instant, an equation must be used that models the collision between point masses with springs.
faiziqb12
Gold Member
i have two bodies and their momentum is same ...
say i have a truck and a car and they collide ...
the velocity of car is five times the velocity of truck...
and the mass of the truck is five times the mass of the car...
so my question is how to mathametically prove that the force of the car on the truck will be equal to the force of the truck on the car...

actually i have to find that the time in which the car comes in halt is equal to the time in which the truck comes to halt...

so , please help me with the problem in classic text above , then my problem is solved....
i am using the equation fct * tc = ftc * tt
where tc and tt is the time in which the car and truck come to halt respectively

and if u have any other method of soving my actual question please post!

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the time they are in contact is the same for both, right? So tc = tt and there you are ! You have proven Newton's third law :wink:

thanks

BvU said:
Well, the time they are in contact is the same for both, right? So tc = tt and there you are ! You have proven Newton's third law :wink:
Not quite that simple.
Since the collision takes time, one or both vehicles must be deformed. So what is meant by a vehicle coming to a halt? The only reasonable interpretation I can think of is to consider the mass centre of the vehicle (though that is changing in relation to the architecture of the vehicle as the deformation occurs).
We can model this as point masses with massless imperfectly elastic springs attached, colliding spring to spring. How will you prove that each mass comes to rest, momentarily at least, at the same instant?

1. How do you calculate momentum in a car and truck collision?

In order to calculate momentum in a car and truck collision, you need to know the mass and velocity of both vehicles. The equation for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Once you have the values for both vehicles, you can plug them into the equation to find the total momentum of the system.

2. What is the relationship between momentum and force in a car and truck collision?

Momentum and force are directly related in a car and truck collision. The change in momentum of an object is equal to the force applied to the object multiplied by the time it takes for the force to act. In other words, the greater the force applied to a vehicle, the greater its change in momentum will be after the collision.

3. How does the law of conservation of momentum apply to a car and truck collision?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. In a car and truck collision, the total momentum of both vehicles before the collision is equal to the total momentum of both vehicles after the collision. This means that the momentum of the car and truck may change, but the total momentum of the system remains constant.

4. What factors can affect the outcome of a car and truck collision?

There are several factors that can affect the outcome of a car and truck collision. These include the mass, velocity, and direction of both vehicles, as well as the type and strength of the materials involved. Other factors, such as road conditions and weather, can also play a role in the outcome of a collision.

5. How can the force of impact in a car and truck collision be reduced?

The force of impact in a car and truck collision can be reduced by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. This can be achieved by implementing safety features such as crumple zones and airbags, which help to absorb some of the force and extend the duration of the collision. Slowing down the speed of both vehicles before the collision can also help to reduce the force of impact.