Solving Motion Equations with Integration

In summary, the conversation involved a person asking for help with using integration to solve an equation. After trying to separate the components and setting one component equal to zero, they were initially confused but later found success by setting the x-component equal to zero and using the quadratic equation.
runningphysics
Homework Statement
A particle leaves the origin with its initial velocity given by v⃗ 0=14i+13jm/s, undergoing constant acceleration a⃗ =−1.3i+0.26j m/s2. Find when and where the particle crosses the y axis.
Relevant Equations
Δx=V_0 t+1/2 at^2
and other kinematics equations
I'm not sure where to start, when I tired using integration of the initial equation to get pos(t)=-.65t^2 i + .13t^2 j + 14ti +13tj but after separating each component, i and j, and setting j equal to zero I got 0 or -100 seconds which doesn't seem like a reasonable answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you do not set j = 0. I assume you mean setting the j-component to zero.

Second, y=0 is the x-axis, not the y-axis. The y-axis corresponds to x=0.

OK, I tried it out and it works! I was confused with the wording of the question, but setting the x equation, x=-.65t^2 i + 14t i, equal to zero and using the quadratic worked. Thanks for your help!

Likes berkeman

1. What is integration in the context of motion equations?

Integration is a mathematical process that allows us to find the total distance or displacement traveled by an object over a given time interval. It involves finding the area under a curve on a velocity-time graph, which represents the object's changing velocity over time.

2. How is integration used to solve motion equations?

Integration is used to solve motion equations by finding the antiderivative of the velocity function, which gives us the position function. This position function can then be used to determine the object's displacement or distance traveled over a specific time interval.

3. What are the different types of motion equations that can be solved using integration?

The most commonly used motion equations that can be solved using integration include equations for constant acceleration, uniform circular motion, and projectile motion. These equations can be solved using integration techniques such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or the fundamental theorem of calculus.

4. What are the limitations of using integration to solve motion equations?

One limitation of using integration to solve motion equations is that it assumes a constant acceleration, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, integration may not be suitable for solving complex motion equations involving multiple variables and changing acceleration.

5. How can solving motion equations with integration be applied in real-world scenarios?

Solving motion equations with integration has various practical applications, such as predicting the position and velocity of moving objects in physics and engineering. It can also be used to analyze data from motion sensors, such as those in smartphones and fitness trackers, to track an object's motion and measure its speed and acceleration.