Solving Muon Momentum Decay: Maximizing Expression & Intuition

In summary, my first idea was to find an expression of the muon momentum as a function of the angle and then maximaze the expression. But my attempts were not succesful. I report here my attempt.
Aleolomorfo
Homework Statement
Consider the decay ##K \rightarrow \mu + \nu##. Find the maximum ##\mu## momentum in a frame in which the ##K## momentum is 5 GeV
Relevant Equations
## P = (E, p_x, p_y, p_z)##
## P^2 = m^2##
My first idea was to find an expression of the muon momentum as a function of the angle and then maximaze the expression. But my attempts were not succesful. I report here my attempt.

Set up (referring to the attached file "bettini.pdf"):
$$ p = (\sqrt{p_k^2+m_k^2},0,0,p_k)$$
$$ k_1 = (\sqrt{p_{\mu}^2+m_{\mu}^2},0,p_{\mu}\sin{\theta}, p_{\mu}\cos{\theta})$$
$$ k_2 = (p_{\nu},0,-p_{\nu}\sin{\phi}, p_{\nu}\cos{\phi})$$

My attempt:

$$ p = k_1 + k_2 $$
$$ k_2 = p - k_1$$

Squaring

$$ k_2^2 = p^2 + k_1^2 -2pk_1$$
$$ 0 = m_k^2 + m_{\mu}^2 - 2\sqrt{(p_k^2+m_k^2)(p_{\mu}^2+m_{\mu}^2)} + 2p_kp_{\mu}\cos{\theta}$$

Continuing from here the computation to obtain ##p_{\mu}## as a function of ##\cos{\theta}## is quite demanding.

My second idea was to think intuitively that the case in which the muon momentum is maximum is when it flies forward and the neutrino backward. And in this particular case the computation is easier.

To sum up, my two questions are: Is there a way to perform my first idea? Is my second idea right?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• bettini.pdf
    9.7 KB · Views: 246
Physics news on Phys.org
What I'd suggest is solving the problem in the rest frame of the kaon and then transforming back to the lab frame.

vela said:
What I'd suggest is solving the problem in the rest frame of the kaon and then transforming back to the lab frame.

I have attached the file with the set up.

$$ p = (m_k, 0, 0, 0)$$
$$ k_1 = (E_{\nu},0,0, E_{\nu})$$
$$ k_2 = (E_{\mu}, 0,0, -\sqrt{E_{\mu}^2-m_{\mu}^2})$$

Using the conservation of momentum and energy I get:

$$E_{\mu} = \frac{m_k^2+m_{\mu}^2}{2m_k} = 258.15 MeV $$
$$ p_{\mu} = \sqrt{E_{\mu}^2-m_{\mu}^2} = 235,53 MeV $$

Then I make the assumption that the muon has the maximum energy when it flies forward in the LAB frame:

$$\beta = \frac{p_k}{\sqrt{p_k^2+m_k^2}} = 1 $$
$$ \gamma = \frac{\sqrt{p_k^2+m_k^2}}{m_k} = 10$$

Using Lorentz transformation:

$$ p_{\mu}^{lab, max} = \gamma(p_{\mu}^{CM} + \beta E_{\mu}^{CM}) $$

Then substituting the numerical value I get the answer. Is it right?

Attachments

• CM.pdf
    19.1 KB · Views: 250
Looks good.

Likes Aleolomorfo
vela said:
Looks good.

Thank you very much!

What is muon momentum decay?

Muon momentum decay refers to the process in which a muon particle, a fundamental particle in the subatomic world, loses its momentum over time due to interactions with other particles or forces.

Why is it important to solve muon momentum decay?

Solving muon momentum decay is important for understanding the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions in the subatomic world. It can also have practical applications in fields such as particle physics and quantum mechanics.

How can we maximize expression and intuition when solving muon momentum decay?

To maximize expression and intuition when solving muon momentum decay, it is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying physics principles, as well as mathematical techniques and computational tools. Additionally, visual aids and simulations can also aid in enhancing understanding and intuition.

What are some challenges in solving muon momentum decay?

Some challenges in solving muon momentum decay include the complex and unpredictable nature of subatomic particles, as well as the need for advanced mathematical and computational skills. Additionally, experimental data and observations may also present challenges in accurately modeling and predicting muon momentum decay.

What are some potential applications of solving muon momentum decay?

The knowledge gained from solving muon momentum decay can have various applications, such as improving our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics, developing technologies based on quantum mechanics, and potentially leading to advancements in fields such as energy production and medical imaging.