Special relativity - Transformation of angles

In summary, when two particles have equal energy in the CM frame, they have an angle of 2pi/3 between each other.
Aleolomorfo

Homework Statement

Let's have a three-particle decay of equal mass ##m##; in the CM frame the three particles have equal energy ##E## and they form angles of ##\frac{2\pi}{3}## between each other. Which is the angle between two of the three particles in the rest frame of the other one. (The z-axis is along the direction of particle 1)
a-1.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need a confirmation about my reasoning. I have written the 4-momentum in both frames;
$$p_1=(E,0,0,\sqrt{E^2-m^2})$$
$$p_2=(E,0,\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\sqrt{E^2-m^2},-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{E^2-m^2})$$
$$p_3=(E,0,-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\sqrt{E^2-m^2},-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{E^2-m^2})$$
$$k_1=(m,0,0,0)$$
$$k_2=(E',\vec{k_2})$$
$$k_3=(E',\vec{k_3})$$
With ##|\vec{k_2}|=\sqrt{E'^2-m^2}## and ##|\vec{k_3}|=\sqrt{E'^2-m^2}##.
I have used the invariance of ##p_2^\mu p_{3\mu}=k_2^\mu k_{3\mu}## with:
$$k_2^\mu k_{3\mu}=E'^2-|\vec{k_1}||\vec{k_2}|\cos\theta=E'^2-(E'^2-m^2)cos\theta$$
$$p_2^\mu p_{3\mu}=\frac{1}{2}(3E^2-m^2)$$
I have to find the value of ##E'## with a lorentz boost of ##v=\frac{\sqrt{E^2-m^2}}{E}##: ##E'=\gamma(E-vp_z)##. With a bit of calculus I have found:
$$cos\theta=\frac{3E^4-4E^2m^2+m^4}{3E^4-2E^2m^2-m^4}$$
The result seems a bit strange and so I have the doubt that my solution is wrong, maybe I have made a calculus mistake and the reasoning is right.

Attachments

• a-1.jpg
    a-1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 825
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your result is correct. If you factor the numerator and denominator in your final result, it will simplify.

A nice way to get an expression for ##E'## is to set up ##p_1^{\mu} p_{2 \mu} = k_1^{\mu} k_{2 \mu}##

Likes Aleolomorfo
TSny said:
I think your result is correct. If you factor the numerator and denominator in your final result, it will simplify.

A nice way to get an expression for ##E'## is to set up ##p_1^{\mu} p_{2 \mu} = k_1^{\mu} k_{2 \mu}##

Thank you very much

1. How does special relativity affect the measurement of angles?

Special relativity does not affect the measurement of angles in the traditional sense. Angles are still measured in degrees or radians and follow the same geometric rules. However, special relativity does affect the perception of angles between objects in motion relative to one another. This is known as the transformation of angles.

2. What is the transformation of angles in special relativity?

The transformation of angles in special relativity is the change in perception of the angle between two objects when they are in motion relative to each other. This is due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction on the measurement of distances and the passage of time.

3. How does time dilation affect the measurement of angles?

Time dilation, which is a consequence of special relativity, causes time to appear to pass slower for objects in motion relative to an observer. This means that an observer will perceive an object in motion as experiencing time at a slower rate. As a result, the perceived angle between two moving objects will appear to be larger than the actual angle.

4. What is length contraction and how does it affect angles?

Length contraction is another effect of special relativity, which causes objects in motion to appear shorter in the direction of motion. This means that the perceived distance between two objects in motion will appear to be shorter than the actual distance. As a result, the perceived angle between two moving objects will appear to be smaller than the actual angle.

5. Can the transformation of angles be observed in everyday life?

The transformation of angles is a subtle effect and is typically only observable when objects are moving at very high speeds, close to the speed of light. In everyday life, the effects of special relativity are not noticeable and angles are measured and perceived as they traditionally are. However, in experiments involving particles moving at high speeds or in the field of astrophysics, the transformation of angles must be taken into account.