Solving Part e of the Electron Beam Problem

In summary: The electric field at these more distant regions is then the sum of the fields from the electron-beam and positive plasma ions.
phantomvommand
Homework Statement
Please refer to the picture below
Relevant Equations
Gauss's Law
Ampere's Law
I am only asking about part e. If you are short on time, you can read through parts a - d, to get an idea of what is happening, and then attempt part e directly.
Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 1.27.31 AM.png

I have solved parts a - d. If you would like to check your answers, the answer to part c is [rne^2 / 2e0] [ 1 - (v/c)^2], and the answer to part d is 0.
I do not understand the following solution to part e. The term on the left represents the E-field due to the electron beam, which I understand. I suppose the term on the right is the E-field due to the positively charged ions in the plasma. However, isn't the effect of the positively charged ions in the plasma negated by the effect of the negatively charged electrons in the plasma? Thus, the term on the right should not exist. What is wrong?
Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 1.31.07 AM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Here’s a guess…

I suspect the key phrase in part e) is “… long after the beam entering the plasma.”

In the long-term (when a steady-state has been reached), the plasma-electrons will have been largely expelled from the region radius r’ due to repulsion by the electron beam. So what remains of the plasma are the positive ions only. The electric field at r’ is then the sum of the fields from the electron beam and positive plasma ions.

It’s not entirely consistent with the wording of question and solution, but maybe these are simply poorly written.

I haven't checked your other answers.

Steve4Physics said:
Here’s a guess…

I suspect the key phrase in part e) is “… long after the beam entering the plasma.”

In the long-term (when a steady-state has been reached), the plasma-electrons will have been largely expelled from the region radius r’ due to repulsion by the electron beam. So what remains of the plasma are the positive ions only. The electric field at r’ is then the sum of the fields from the electron beam and positive plasma ions.

It’s not entirely consistent with the wording of question and solution, but maybe these are simply poorly written.

I haven't checked your other answers.
Thanks for the reply. May I know how the electrons can be expelled, given that the positive ions also exert an attractive force on them?

phantomvommand said:
Thanks for the reply. May I know how the electrons can be expelled, given that the positive ions also exert an attractive force on them?
Suppose you put a negative charge, -q, inside a hollow metal spherical shell. Some of the metal’s electrons are pushed out (‘expelled’) onto the outer surface, giving an outer-surface charge of -q and leaving an inner-surface charge of +q.

Not the best analogy, but the underlying principle is the same as the electron-beam and plasma in your question.

The ‘expulsion’ of plasma-electrons is from the region around the electron-beam into more distant regions.

1. What is Part e of the Electron Beam Problem?

Part e of the Electron Beam Problem is a specific section of a larger problem that involves solving for the motion of an electron beam in an electric and magnetic field. It typically involves calculating the trajectory of the electron beam and determining its final position and velocity.

2. How do I approach solving Part e of the Electron Beam Problem?

The first step in solving Part e of the Electron Beam Problem is to carefully read and understand the given problem and its parameters. Then, you can use the relevant equations and principles of electromagnetism to set up and solve the problem. It is important to double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

3. What are some common challenges in solving Part e of the Electron Beam Problem?

One common challenge in solving Part e of the Electron Beam Problem is keeping track of all the variables and equations involved. It is important to carefully label and organize your work to avoid mistakes. Another challenge is understanding the physical principles behind the problem, such as the Lorentz force and the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.

4. Are there any helpful tips for solving Part e of the Electron Beam Problem?

Some helpful tips for solving Part e of the Electron Beam Problem include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, and using diagrams or visual aids to understand the problem better. It can also be helpful to consult with others or seek guidance from a professor or tutor if you are struggling.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving Part e of the Electron Beam Problem?

Solving Part e of the Electron Beam Problem has many real-world applications, such as understanding the behavior of electrons in particle accelerators or cathode ray tubes. It is also important in fields such as medical imaging, where electron beams are used to produce X-rays. Additionally, this problem can be applied to the design and optimization of electron beam devices and technologies.