Solving pH Questions for Anatomy & Physiology I Student

• Thread starter bjsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physiology
In summary, the pH of an acid solution is less than 7. This information can be found in the Applications section of the Wikipedia article on pH.
bjsh
I'm a first year student Anatomy & Physiology and this really got to. I have been in Chemistry for about two weeks now and really need some help with this one.
Questions is: Which of these is the pH of an acid solution?

A. pH 7.1
B. pH 7.0
C. pH 12.4
D. pH 6.9
E. pH 8.3

No Relevant equations

The attempt at a solution was to guest after reading about chemical bonding, Elements and compounds, but when I got to pH it was a whole new subject, with the K+ CI-KCI I have know idea. Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the Calculus forum, but in answer to your question acidic solutions have a pH of < 7.

Take a look at this wikipedia article, particularly the section titled Applications: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH.
Freshly distilled water, which is neither acid nor alkiline, has a pH of 7.0. You should notice that one of your five choices is unlike the others, and is therefore the one you want.

Thank you, Mark so if I have any pH questions I can go to wikipedia.org

MathHawk said:
You are on the Calculus forum, but in answer to your question acidic solutions have a pH of < 7.

Thank you so much I was going crazy for a little.

Mark44 said:
Take a look at this wikipedia article, particularly the section titled Applications: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH.
Freshly distilled water, which is neither acid nor alkiline, has a pH of 7.0. You should notice that one of your five choices is unlike the others, and is therefore the one you want

Re: Anatomy & Physiology

Thank you, Mark so if I have any pH questions I can go to wikipedia.org

1. What is pH and why is it important in anatomy and physiology?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is important in anatomy and physiology because the body's various systems and processes require a specific pH in order to function properly. For example, the blood needs to maintain a pH between 7.35-7.45 for optimal oxygen delivery and enzyme activity.

2. How do you calculate pH?

pH is calculated by taking the negative logarithm of the hydrogen ion concentration in a solution. The formula is pH = -log[H+]. This means that as the concentration of hydrogen ions increases, the pH decreases and the solution becomes more acidic.

3. What is the pH scale and what are the ranges for acidic, neutral, and basic solutions?

The pH scale is a measure of acidity or basicity ranging from 0-14. A pH of 7 is considered neutral, below 7 is acidic, and above 7 is basic. The lower the pH, the more acidic the solution and the higher the pH, the more basic the solution.

4. How does the body regulate pH?

The body has several mechanisms to regulate pH and maintain homeostasis. The lungs regulate pH by controlling the levels of carbon dioxide in the blood, and the kidneys regulate pH by controlling the levels of bicarbonate ions. The body also has buffers, such as bicarbonate and proteins, which can bind or release hydrogen ions to help maintain a stable pH.

5. How can I apply pH concepts in anatomy and physiology?

Understanding pH is important in various aspects of anatomy and physiology, such as the digestive system, respiratory system, and urinary system. For example, the stomach has a low pH of 1-3 to aid in digestion, and the kidneys play a crucial role in maintaining the body's pH balance. Additionally, pH imbalances can have serious effects on the body's functions, so understanding and monitoring pH levels is essential for maintaining overall health.