Understanding pH - FAQs for the PF Forum

In summary, pH is not the concentration of hydrogen ions per liter, but the equilibrium concentration of hydrogen ions and hydroxide ions.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
Actually I want to study how antioxidant can benefit for our health. But, my understanding in chemistry is very limited. Perhaps I have to go back and study pH, first.
I have read many sources in the internet.
And this is one of them:
http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/acidbase/faq/what-is-pH.shtml
...where log is a base-10 logarithm and [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter of solution
So, let me understand this first.
1. In 1 liter of water, there are approximately 1000/18.016 (weight of H2O, including isotope) = 55.51 moles of H2O. Is it true?
2. For 1 liter water which have pH = 0 (if this is chemically possible) there are 1 moles H+ about 1 .008 gram?
2. In 1 liter water pH = 1, there are 1/10 moles or 0.1 gram H+?
3. Neutral water, pH = 7, there are 1 x 10-7 moles H+ or about 0.1 microgram H+?
4. If number 3 is true. Why is it neutral? Because there are 1.7 microgram Hydroxide as well?

Thanks for helping me. I might have some questions more to ask.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You've got it !
1.yes
2.yes. we wouldn't call it water any more because of it extreme acidity ... and because usually we also require a charge balance there have to be a lot of negative ions present too.
2b.yes, same.
3.yes
4.yes

It all boils down to an equilibrium between ##H_2O \leftrightarrows H^+ + OH^-## in the liquid. At room temperature the equilibrium constant ## k = {[H^+] \times [OH^-] \over [H_2O]} \approx 10^{-7}##.
[edit] big mistake, see Borek #5 below (thanks !). Should be ##\approx 10^{-14}##
There are some minor details, but you've got the idea.

Last edited:
Likes Stephanus
Thanks BvU for the answer.

Okay, I'll requote the web again.
- where log is a base-10 logarithm and [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter of solution
- A pH of 7 is considered "neutral",
- because the concentration of hydrogen ions is exactly equal to the concentration of hydroxide (OH-) ions produced by dissociation of the water
If pH is the concentration of hydrogen ions per liter, why pH 7 is neutral?
There are 0.1 microgram H+ in it, right?
Answer: Because there are 1.7 microgram OH as well.

Okay..., perhaps I should ask again.
What if in 1 liter water, there are free H+ about 0.1 microgram but the amount of OH- is not 1.7 microgram, but 0.85 microgram.
What is its pH?
Thanks for any answer.

Stephanus said:
Thanks BvU for the answer.

Okay, I'll requote the web again.
If pH is the concentration of hydrogen ions per liter, why pH 7 is neutral?
There are 0.1 microgram H+ in it, right?
Answer: Because there are 1.7 microgram OH as well.

Okay..., perhaps I should ask again.
What if in 1 liter water, there are free H+ about 0.1 microgram but the amount of OH- is not 1.7 microgram, but 0.85 microgram.
What is its pH?
Thanks for any answer.
You need to remember that water need to be electrically neutral, so in *pure* water such situation in normal circumstances is *not* possible.
Should other anions like Cl(-) be also present, to keep stuff neutral, such water would become slightly acidic.
Equlibrium would be achieved and most of OH(-) would recombine with part of H(+) to reconstitute water.
Some excess of H(+) would be left.

Likes Stephanus
Stephanus said:

Ain't going to happen. BvU already mentioned why - there is an equilibrium between these things, given by

H+ + OH- ↔ H2O

And (approximately)

[tex][H^+][OH^-] = 10^{-14}[/tex]

(we ignore concentration of water as it is constant in most cases, and the value of 10-7 posted by BvU seems to be a typo). If you try to introduce amounts of H+ and OH- that don't fit this equation they will react till the equilibrium is reached.

Neutral solution doesn't mean pH = 7, actually it means [H+] = [OH-]. This is typically close to 7, but the exact pH of the neutral solution depends on the temperature - see the table here: http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=water-ion-product

Likes Stephanus
Ahh, so there you are. Borek. I would like to thank Ruud Gullit, in "Give Credits to Mentor", but I forgot your user name.
Okay, let me summarize your reply.
A. There is an equilibrium between these things, given by H+ + OH- ↔ H2O
B. And (approximately) [H+][OH-] = 10-14
So, let me ask again.
This Equilibrium is not [H+] = [OH-], but [H+][OH-] = 10-14
Supposed in 1 litre water there's
1 * 10-4 moles H+
1 * 10-6 moles OH-
So the equilibrium is not H+ - OH-
That H+ decreases by 0.000001 becomes 0.000099 and OH- decreases by 0.000001 all depleted, but.
([H+] - n) ([OH-] - n) = 10-14
Using ABC equation formula, I find that n = 0.00000099989899.
So H+ becomes: 0.00009900010101
OH- becomes: 0.00000000010100999795
Multiplying those numbers: 0.00009900010101 * 0.00000000010100999795 = 10-14

Is equilibrium like this?

C. Concentration of water it is constant in most cases
D If you try to introduce amounts of H+ and OH- that don't fit this equation they will react till the equilibrium is reached.
E. Neutral solution doesn't mean pH = 7, actually it means [H+] = [OH-].

Please see B section: Is that how the equilibrium reached?
Thanks for any help.

Stephanus said:
([H+] - n) ([OH-] - n) = 10-14

Yes, you got it right.

Likes Stephanus

1. What is pH and why is it important?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is important because it affects the chemical and biological processes in our bodies and in the environment. pH can also impact the effectiveness of certain products and substances.

2. How is pH measured?

pH is measured on a scale from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. A pH of less than 7 is considered acidic and a pH greater than 7 is considered basic. pH can be measured using a pH meter or by using pH test strips or indicators.

3. What factors can affect pH?

The pH of a solution can be affected by a variety of factors, including the concentration of acids and bases, temperature, and the presence of other substances that can react with water to produce acidic or basic solutions.

4. How does pH impact living organisms?

Living organisms, including humans, have specific pH ranges that are necessary for their survival and proper functioning. Changes in pH levels can disrupt biological processes and lead to health issues. For example, a pH imbalance in the body can cause acidosis or alkalosis.

5. Can pH levels be controlled or adjusted?

Yes, pH levels can be controlled and adjusted by adding acidic or basic substances to a solution. For example, adding lemon juice (an acidic substance) to water can lower its pH, making it more acidic. Similarly, adding baking soda (a basic substance) to water can increase its pH, making it more basic.