Solving Pneumatic Equation with Natural Logarithm

• Thread starter DrZygote214
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pneumatic
Gas constants may also be needed for specific gases. In summary, the Hagen-Poiseuille equation involves the natural logarithm and is used to calculate the equalization time between two regions with different pressures when there is a hole with area A between them. Gas constants may also be necessary for specific gases.
DrZygote214
I'm trying to find a particular equation that I came across years ago, but have since forgotten, and probably never knew the name or if it even had a name.

Basically, if you have two regions with different pressures, and a hole with area A between them, how long does it take before the pressures equalize?

I believe you just need the two pressures and the hole area, not the volumes or temperatures, but I may be mistaken. We might also need certain gas constants for whatever gas.

All I can remember for certain was that this equation involved the natural logarithm. Oh well. If anyone knows it, please let me know.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you are looking for is called the Hagen-Poiseuille equation. It is used to calculate the amount of time it takes for two regions with different pressures to equalize when there is a hole with area A between them. The equation is as follows: t = (A/(πη)) * ln(p1/p2) where p1 and p2 are the initial and final pressures, η is the viscosity of the fluid, and A is the area of the hole.

Related to Solving Pneumatic Equation with Natural Logarithm

1. How do you solve a pneumatic equation using natural logarithm?

To solve a pneumatic equation using natural logarithm, you will need to take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation. This will allow you to isolate the variable that you want to solve for and then use algebraic manipulation to solve for its value.

2. What is a pneumatic equation?

A pneumatic equation is an equation that relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. It is often used in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to describe the behavior of gases under different conditions.

3. What is natural logarithm?

Natural logarithm, denoted as ln, is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. It is the logarithm to the base e, where e is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718. Natural logarithms are commonly used in mathematical and scientific calculations.

4. What are the steps to solving a pneumatic equation with natural logarithm?

The steps to solving a pneumatic equation with natural logarithm are as follows:
1. Identify the variable you want to solve for.
2. Take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation.
3. Use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable on one side of the equation.
4. Solve for the variable.
5. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

5. Can you use any base for the logarithm when solving a pneumatic equation?

Yes, you can use any base for the logarithm when solving a pneumatic equation. However, using natural logarithm is often preferred because it simplifies the equation and allows for easier manipulation and solving.