Solving Potential of Line Charge: Square 6m on a Side

• Thread starter FatoonsBaby71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potentials
In summary, the problem involves finding the potential at a point (0,0,5) m in the xy plane, due to a uniform line charge of density pl = 1nC/m arranged in a square 6m on a side. The approach involves integrating in terms of y and z components, using the formula for potential given by (p dV)/(4pi*Eo*R), and considering the symmetry of the problem. An alternative approach could be using a formula for the potential due to a finite length of line charge.
FatoonsBaby71

Homework Statement

A uniform line charge of density pl = 1nC/m is arrange in the form of a square 6m on a side. (In the z plane) Find the potential at (0,0,5) m

Answer:35.6 V

Homework Equations

R = The distance from the line to the point (0,0,5)
dL = ax dx + ay dy + az dz

The Attempt at a Solution

Well any point on the uniform line charge can be selected for this problem so I picked (0,3,0)
There for the distance is R= Sqrt((5-0)^2+ (0-3)^2)) Then I know that the potential of a charge distribution is equal to the integration of the whole volume of (p dV)/(4pi*Eo the Permittivity of free space*R)

Therefore, the x components don't matter because at both points they are zero. So I figured I would just integrate in terms of y get an answer and then integrate in terms of z and get an answer then the sum of those would be the total potential. However it doesn't seem to be coming out to the right answer.

Integral [0 to 3] pl/4pi*E0*R dy = 4.6241
Integral [0 to 5] pl/4pi*E0*R dz = 7.7068

does anyone know what I am doing wrong??
thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry I don't know the answer. I'm just wondering about the z-plane. what does that even mean. a palce has two axis

FatoonsBaby71 said:
A uniform line charge of density pl = 1nC/m is arrange in the form of a square 6m on a side. (In the z plane) Find the potential at (0,0,5) m
I think that your problem statement is missing some information. I assume that "the z plane" means the xy plane (i.e. the z=0 plane). I assume that the square of line charges is centered on the origin.

FatoonsBaby71 said:
Well any point on the uniform line charge can be selected for this problem so I picked (0,3,0)
This problem is not symmetric under exchange of any two points on the square. There is some symmetry, but that's not it.

Yes, I was wrong the uniform line charge is in the x-y plane where z = 0... I apologize.

So I really can't just pick a point on the line charge...i thought it wouldn't matter because it is uniformly distributed. Do you have any idea on how I could attack this problem??

FatoonsBaby71 said:
So I really can't just pick a point on the line charge...i thought it wouldn't matter because it is uniformly distributed. Do you have any idea on how I could attack this problem??
The uniformity makes the integrand simpler than if the distribution were generally nonuniform. Your hints are: integration and symmetry. Oh, and you may have a formula in your book for the potential due to a finite length of line charge, so think about that as a possibly alternative approach.

Related to Solving Potential of Line Charge: Square 6m on a Side

What is the equation for the electric potential of a line charge?

The equation for the electric potential of a line charge is V = kλ/ρ, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb constant, λ is the linear charge density, and ρ is the distance from the line charge.

How do I calculate the electric field from a line charge?

To calculate the electric field from a line charge, you can use the equation E = kλ/r, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb constant, λ is the linear charge density, and r is the distance from the line charge.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field. Electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that represents the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field.

Why is the square 6m on a side used in this problem?

The square 6m on a side is used in this problem to simplify the calculation and to demonstrate how the electric potential varies with distance from a line charge. The results can be easily generalized for other shapes and sizes of charge distributions.

How does the electric potential change with distance from a line charge in a square 6m on a side?

The electric potential decreases with distance from a line charge in a square 6m on a side. As you move further away from the line charge, the electric potential decreases due to the inverse relationship between electric potential and distance. This can be visualized as a cone-shaped surface around the line charge, with the tip of the cone at the location of the line charge.