Solving Pressure Shooter Kink: Find Volume & Air Needed

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a pressure shooter project for school. They need to determine how much air is needed to fill a cylinder with a volume of 4,994.57 cubic centimeters and achieve a pressure of 100 psi. The equation PV=nRT is mentioned, as well as the need for temperature and the molar mass of air. The speaker also considers using a compressed air tank and asks about the importance of having exactly 100 psi. Another person suggests using 6-7 gallons of uncompressed air to be compressed, but there could be issues with only reaching 50 psi. The PV relation is recommended for finding a solution.
mmartin
I've made this pressure shooter for school, but I can't quite figure out this kink. If the cylinder has a volume of 4,994.57 cubic centimeters, and I plan on filling it with 100 psi of air (I want to maximize the pressure) how much air am I going to need? I could just flow it in, but I need to know how much to buy to shove it in (without blowing the container). Any help would really be apprecaited, I want to get his ready in a month or so and the schedule is looking down right now.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You will need temperature and the molar mass of air. Use the equation [itex]PV=nRT[/itex], where P is pressure in kilopascals, V is volume in L, n is moles of gas, R is the universal gas constant (8.314), and T is the Kelvin temperature. Make the appropriate unit conversions. I say you need molar mass of air because I'm assuming you want to know the mass of air you need to bring the pressure to 100 psi.

How do you find Molar mass of air?
Is it corect to say 70/100*28 + 30/100*32 where 32,28 are molar masses of oxygen,nitrogen and 70,30 their % in air?

If you ignore the other gases present, yes, you can do it that way. You could look it up somewhere as well. Mmartin, is it important that you have the air at exactly 100 psi, or just something close to that?

More importantly, what mechanism do you have for pumping ("shoving") air into your cylinder ? Do you have a compressed air tank with a p > 100 psi pressure regulator ? Do you know for sure that your container won't fracture at 100 psi ?

I am fairly sure (which is a great assurance) that the container will not fracture at 100 psi, it's pretty strong. I will be using a compressed air container, I'll have to check later if it reads x>100 psi. No, the air does not have to be exactly at 100 psi, but close, plus or minus 5 psi. I originally tried the PV=nRT equation, but I couldn't figure out the Pressure to Temp ratio. That said, still trying to find out how many gallons. This was one man's suggestion, how does it check out, I think it just about answers it.

"Assume 100psi absolute. 100/14.7 is about 6 to 7, so you should need 6 to
7 times 1.2 gallons of uncompressed air to be compressed to get your
cylinder up to 100psi-absolute. For 100psi gauge, you need about 1
additional gallon of uncompressed air."

I would say that that would be the logical approach? Any scientific qualms?

Thanks.

No...none. As far as the calculation is concerned, that's fine. However, if you buy a 100 psi compressed air tank with the equivalent of 1.2*7 gallons of uncompressed air, you will not be able to get your container up to 100 psi...you'll only get to about 50 psi.

Either the compressed air should be at 200 psi, or you'll need more air. I think they specify the pressure and the volume at that pressure. So, you can use the PV relation, as before, to determine what will work. But keep in mind that if you let the tank equilibrate with your container (which will be required if the tank pressure is not much more than 100psi), the final volume is the sum of the two volumes.

Related to Solving Pressure Shooter Kink: Find Volume & Air Needed

1. What is "Solving Pressure Shooter Kink"?

"Solving Pressure Shooter Kink" is a method used to calculate the volume and amount of air needed for a pressure shooter. It is a scientific approach to ensure optimal performance and safety of the shooter.

2. Why is it important to find the volume and air needed for a pressure shooter?

Knowing the volume and air needed for a pressure shooter is crucial for its proper functioning. Too little air can result in a weak or inaccurate shot, while too much air can lead to dangerous levels of pressure. Therefore, finding the right volume and air ensures the shooter operates efficiently and safely.

3. What factors affect the volume and air needed for a pressure shooter?

The volume and air needed for a pressure shooter depend on several factors such as the size and type of the shooter, the type and weight of the projectile, the desired range and velocity, and the air pressure available. These variables must be taken into account to accurately calculate the volume and air needed.

4. How do you calculate the volume and air needed for a pressure shooter?

The volume and air needed can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and pressure, and inversely proportional to its amount. By knowing the pressure, temperature, and amount of air needed for the shooter, the volume can be calculated.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when solving pressure shooter kink?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when working with pressure shooters. It is essential to follow safety guidelines and wear proper protective gear. Additionally, periodically check for any leaks or malfunctions in the shooter to prevent accidents. If unsure about any aspects of the calculation, seek the guidance of a trained professional.