Solving Putnam Problem 2010 A5: Proof for Group Identity Property

• Thread starter stroustroup
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving past Putnam Competition problems, specifically Problem A5 of the 2010 exam. The individual has a proof for the problem but is unsure if it is correct. They are seeking confirmation and feedback on their proof, which involves the properties of a group and the cross product.
stroustroup
I am trying to solve past Putnam Competition problems. I think I have a proof for Problem A5 of the 2010 exam. Here is the set of all problems: http://inside.mines.edu/~dlarue/putnam/exams/2010.pdf

The solution given required three lemmas to prove, so I wonder whether my proof is flawed (it seems too simple, and the only group property I used was existence of a (right) identity). So can you tell me if my proof is correct?

Let [itex]\mathbf{e}[/itex] be an identity of the group [itex]G[/itex]. Suppose there exists a vector [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] in [itex]G[/itex] such that [itex]\mathbf{a}×\mathbf{e}≠\mathbf{0}[/itex].
Then [itex]\mathbf{a}×\mathbf{e} = \mathbf{a}\ast\mathbf{e}=\mathbf{a}[/itex], therefore [itex]\mathbf{a}×\left(\mathbf{a}×\mathbf{e}\right) = \mathbf{a}×\mathbf{a} = \mathbf{0}[/itex].
But by properties of the cross product, [itex]\|\mathbf{a}×\left(\mathbf{a}×\mathbf{e}\right)\|=\| \mathbf{a}\|\| \mathbf{a}×\mathbf{e}\| ≠ \mathbf{0}[/itex] since neither [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] nor [itex]\mathbf{a}×\mathbf{e}[/itex] are [itex]\mathbf{0}[/itex].

The obtained contradiction shows that [itex]\mathbf{a}×\mathbf{e} = \mathbf{0}[/itex] for all [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] in [itex]G[/itex]. Therefore, every vector in [itex]G[/itex] is proportional to the vector [itex]\mathbf{e}[/itex]. But this means that all vectors lie on the same line, and therefore for every [itex]\mathbf{a},\mathbf{b}[/itex] in [itex]G[/itex], we have [itex]\mathbf{a}×\mathbf{b}=\mathbf{0}[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your proof looks sound to me (and very neat).

Related to Solving Putnam Problem 2010 A5: Proof for Group Identity Property

1. What is the Putnam Problem 2010 A5?

The Putnam Problem 2010 A5 is a mathematical problem that was part of the 2010 William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition. It was one of the 12 problems given to the participants to solve within a time limit of 6 hours.

2. What is the objective of the Putnam Problem 2010 A5?

The objective of the Putnam Problem 2010 A5 is to find the maximum number of disjoint pairs of points on a circle of radius 1 such that the distance between each pair is at least √3.

3. How difficult is the Putnam Problem 2010 A5?

The Putnam Problem 2010 A5 is considered a difficult problem, as it was only solved by a small percentage of participants in the competition. It requires a deep understanding of geometry and creative problem-solving skills.

4. What are some strategies for solving the Putnam Problem 2010 A5?

Some strategies for solving the Putnam Problem 2010 A5 include using geometric constructions, considering symmetry, and breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable parts. It is also important to carefully consider the given conditions and use mathematical reasoning to narrow down the possible solutions.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the Putnam Problem 2010 A5?

While the Putnam Problem 2010 A5 may not have direct real-world applications, the skills and techniques used to solve it can be applied to various fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering. The problem also serves as a valuable exercise in critical thinking and problem-solving, which are important skills in any scientific or mathematical discipline.