Solving PV/nRT for T: Temp Needed to Reduce Gas Volume to 2.50L

In summary, to reduce the volume of a sulfur hexafluoride gas sample from 5.10 L to 2.50 L while keeping the pressure constant, the temperature needs to be lowered to -42°C. To find this temperature, you would need to convert to Kelvin first and then back to Celsius, as shown in the conversation.
fromthepast
A sample of sulfur hexafluoride gas occupies a volume of 5.10 L at 198 C. Assuming that the pressure remains constant, what temperature (in C) is needed to reduce the volume to 2.50 L?

I used PV/nRT = PV/nRT and got -42 C.

Do I have to convert to Kevlin first and then back to Celsius?

Physics news on Phys.org
You would have to convert to Kelvin. Whether to express you answer in Celsius is a matter of prefrence, but your answer will come out in Kelvin.

fromthepast said:
Do I have to convert to Kevlin first and then back to Celsius?
It looks like this is what you did already. You won't get -42 if you use initial temperature in Celsius.

What is the equation for solving PV/nRT for T?

The equation for solving PV/nRT for T is T = (PV)/(nR), where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, and R is the ideal gas constant.

What does PV/nRT represent?

PV/nRT represents the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the number of moles of a gas and its temperature, at a constant pressure.

How do I solve for T using the ideal gas law?

To solve for T, you will need to know the values of P, V, n, and R. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the equation T = (PV)/(nR) and solve for T.

How do I convert from units of pressure and volume to the appropriate units for the ideal gas law?

The units for pressure are typically given in atmospheres (atm), while the units for volume are typically given in liters (L). If your given values for P and V are in different units, you will need to convert them to atm and L before plugging them into the equation.

Why is it important to solve for T in the ideal gas law?

Solving for T allows you to determine the temperature needed to reduce the gas volume to a specific amount, which is important for understanding the behavior of gases under different conditions. It also allows for the calculation of other important gas properties, such as pressure and volume, at different temperatures.