Solving Steering Equations for Vehicle Control

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with understanding equations related to controlling the steering of a vehicle. The equations involve variables such as steering value, time, radius of curvature, and velocity. The purpose of the equations is to calculate the angle and new position of the vehicle based on these variables. The speaker is seeking clarification on the use of the equation involving the steering value and velocity.
johngeo
Hi,
I am new to control system and coding.my problem is suppose we have a steering value and know we need to turn the vehile. I facing difficulty in understanding some equations.

Code:
       phi=T*st. %here st. is steering value and 'T' is some constant , 
but I am facing difficulty to understand what it is? whether it is time constant or something else.
           % radius of curvature (ICC)
            R=L/tan(phi);
            str.=30*(V/R);% cann't understand what the use of this equation. here 'v' is some constant.
            theta new=theta+str.; %theta is vehicle angle.
            %centre of curvature(ICC)
            A=X-R*sin(theta);
            B=Y+R*cos(theta);
            %new position of rear axle mid point
            X=A+R*sin(theta new);
            Y=B-R*cos(theta new);

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Code:
str.=30*(V/R);% cann't understand what the use of this equation. here 'v' is forward velocity of vehicle.
image_from_jhki.png

please help me in understanding the concept of this equation.
How can we get an angle from R (ICC) and V (velocity)

Last edited:

Related to Solving Steering Equations for Vehicle Control

1. What are steering equations for vehicle control?

Steering equations are mathematical formulas used to calculate and control the motion of a vehicle's steering system. They take into account factors such as vehicle speed, tire friction, and steering wheel input to determine the appropriate steering angle for the vehicle.

2. Why is it important to solve steering equations for vehicle control?

Solving steering equations is crucial for ensuring safe and efficient vehicle control. By accurately calculating the steering angle, the vehicle can maintain stability and stay on its intended path, reducing the risk of accidents.

3. What variables are involved in steering equations?

The variables involved in steering equations include the vehicle's speed, tire friction, steering wheel angle, and the vehicle's dimensions such as wheelbase and track width. Other factors such as road conditions and weight distribution may also be considered.

4. How do steering equations differ between different types of vehicles?

The specific steering equations used for different types of vehicles may vary due to differences in their weight, size, and handling characteristics. For example, a sports car may require more precise and responsive steering equations compared to a large truck.

5. Can steering equations be solved using computer simulations?

Yes, computer simulations are commonly used to solve steering equations for vehicle control. These simulations can accurately model the vehicle's dynamics and provide real-time feedback, allowing for the testing and optimization of different steering equations before implementing them in a physical vehicle.