Solving Systems of Equations over F2

In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equations but was not able to understand binary fields. There are 16 possible solutions, four of which are correct.
Suy

Homework Statement

Find all solutions to the system of equations with over the binary field F2
w+x +z=0
x+y =1
enter you answer as a list of point (w,x,y,z)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This question should be easy, but I just don't understand binary field F2,
I know 0+0=0 1+1=0 0+1=0
Also , i tried to put (0,0,1,1)
which is
0+0 +1=0
0+1 =1
but it said wrong, please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
0+0+1=1, not 0.

You start with x+y=1. There are two possibilities: x=1 and y=0 or x=0 and y=1 (there are only four choices for x and y, and these are the only two that work). Solve for possible choices of w+x+z=0 for each case using similar logic

0+0+0=0
1+1+0=0
0+1+1=0
is that mean there are 9 choices?
if 0+1=1, 0+0+0=0?
answer is (0,0,1,0)?
or 1+0=1
(1,1,0,0)
(0,1,0,1)
there is three answer, which one is right?
btw, what exactly is F2? I tried to google, but there isn't any answer
ty

Last edited:
The only possible values in the binary field are 0 and 1. There are two possible values for x, two for y, and two for z so there are (2)(2)(2)= 8 possible values for x, y, and z:
0, 0, 0
0, 0, 1
0, 1, 0
0, 1, 1
1, 0, 0
1, 0, 1
1, 1, 0
1, 1, 1
0, 0, 1

Since your two equations have 4 unknowns, x, y, z, and w, there are 2(2)(2)(2)= 16 possible sets of values but you don't have to look explicitely at all 16.

Since x occurs in both equations, if x= 0, we have w+ z= 0 and y= 1. So we only have to solve w+ z= 0. There are 4 cases:
w= 0, z= 0. Then w+ z= 0+ 0= 0
w= 1, z= 0. Then w+ z= 1+ 0= 1
w= 0, z= 1. Then w+ z= 0+ 1= 1
w= 1, z= 1. Then w+ z= 1+ 1= 0.
Two solutions are x= 0, y= 1, z= 0, w= 0 and x= 0, y= 1, z= 1, w= 1.

If x= 1, then we have w+ 1+ z= 0 and 1+ y= 0. y= 1 is the same as y= "-1"= 1 and w+ 1+ z= 0 is the same as w+ z= "-1"= 1 ("-1" in this field is 1 because 1+ 1= 0).
w= 0, z= 1 and w= 1, z= 0 both give w+ z= 1 so we also have x=1, y= 1, z= 1, w= 0 and x= 1, y= 1, z= 0, w= 1 .

That gives a total of 4 distinct solutions.

Thx! I probably confused with 1+1=0 those stuff, but like u said there is four answer, does it matter which one I put?

Suy said:
Thx! I probably confused with 1+1=0 those stuff, but like u said there is four answer, does it matter which one I put?

Oh nvm, I put all four answer and it's correct

hey i would like to know what exactly you put for your answer

(x,x,x,x),(x,x,x,x)
you can click preview to see if the format is correct

Thanks that worked, are by any chance in math 211 using webwork

are you by any chance...***

Related to Solving Systems of Equations over F2

1. What is the definition of a system of equations over F2?

A system of equations over F2 is a set of equations where the variables and coefficients are elements of the finite field F2, also known as the Galois field of order 2. In this field, addition and multiplication operations are defined and the only possible values for the variables are 0 and 1.

2. How do you solve a system of equations over F2?

To solve a system of equations over F2, you can use the Gaussian elimination method. This involves performing row operations on the coefficient matrix to transform it into a row-echelon form. The resulting matrix can then be used to determine the solutions for the variables.

3. Can a system of equations over F2 have multiple solutions?

Yes, a system of equations over F2 can have multiple solutions. This is because the finite field F2 has a limited number of elements (0 and 1), which can lead to equations being equivalent to each other. Therefore, there may be more than one set of values for the variables that satisfy the system of equations.

4. What is the importance of solving systems of equations over F2?

Solving systems of equations over F2 is important in various fields such as coding theory, cryptography, and computer science. It allows for the efficient encoding and decoding of data, as well as the development of secure encryption algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations to solving systems of equations over F2?

One limitation of solving systems of equations over F2 is that it can only be used for systems with a finite number of equations and variables. It also may not be applicable for systems with non-linear equations or systems with coefficients that are not elements of the finite field F2.