Solving the Problem of Unwanted Mains Supply Field in a Faraday Box

In summary, a Faraday box constructed with aluminium sheets and containing electrodes and an electrical drive may not effectively cancel out mains frequency due to inductive pickup. A more suitable material, such as mumetal, would be needed to cancel out this type of interference. Additionally, noise may also be caused by pickup on the electrodes and can be temporarily eliminated by earthing the box, but this must be repeated every 1-2 hours.
arrektor
Hello,

I have constructed a Faraday box with alluminium sheets having holes on them.
The problem is that the mains supply field is not canceled within this box.

The box is about 50cmx50cm and hosts a number of electrodes and an electrical drive that moves these system of electrodes.

I suppose that the reason that I still get field inside the box is the wires of this electrical drive.

Is there a way to cancel that as well?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the reason is most likely inductive pickup. A Faraday cage will protect you from high-frequency electromagnetic radiation; but it is useless against inductive pickup since the aluminium won't attenuate (quasi) static magnetic fields.

In order to cancel out mains frequency inside the box it needs to be made of e.g. mumetal or something similar.

That said, it is of course possible that some of the mains interference is due to pickup elsewhere (the electrodes).

Thank you.

The most probable is the pickup on the electrodes.

The problem is that the Faraday box works better when it is not earthed, then at some point noise starts to appear in the recording channels of the electrodes.

To eliminate the noise, I Earth the Faraday box for a couple of minutes but then the disconnect it.

This lasts for 1-2 hours and needs to be done again.

If I do not disconnect the earthing wire from the earthing, noise appears (most probably coming from the earthing, as it is basically being earthed in the Earth channel of the mains supply) As soon as I disconnect it it is smooth and noiseless for a couple of time.

1. How does a Faraday box work to block unwanted mains supply field?

A Faraday box, also known as a Faraday cage, works by creating a conductive enclosure that can block external electric fields. It does this by redistributing the electric charges on its surface, effectively canceling out the external field.

2. What are some common applications of Faraday boxes?

Faraday boxes are often used to protect electronic devices from electromagnetic interference (EMI) and to shield sensitive information from being accessed by external devices.

3. What are some materials that can be used to construct a Faraday box?

Some common materials used to construct Faraday boxes include metal foil, conductive mesh, and metalized fabric. The key is to have a conductive material that completely surrounds the contents of the box.

4. Can a Faraday box be used to protect against all types of electromagnetic radiation?

No, a Faraday box is most effective against electric fields and low-frequency electromagnetic fields. It may not provide complete protection against high-frequency radiation such as gamma rays or X-rays.

5. How can I test the effectiveness of a Faraday box?

One way to test the effectiveness of a Faraday box is to place a radio or cell phone inside the box and see if it can receive a signal. If the device cannot receive a signal, it indicates that the box is blocking external electromagnetic fields.