Understanding the wave equation

In summary, the solution of the homework equation solves for the function ##u(x,t)## on the ##ux##-plane. By graphing the solution, it can be shown that as ##t## increases, the graph shifts to the left at a velocity of ##c##. Conversely, for ##u(x,t=g(x-ct))##, the graph shifts to the right as ##t## increases.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"The solution ##u(x,t)=f(x+ct)+g(x-ct)## solves the PDE, ##u_{tt}=c^2u_{xx}##. By graphing the solution ##u(x,t)=f(x+ct)## on the ##ux##-plane, please show that as ##t## increases, the graph shifts to the left at a velocity ##c##. Conversely, show that for ##u(x,t)=g(x-ct)##, the graph shifts to the right as ##t## increases."

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I was going to do was to take the partial derivative of ##u## with respect to ##t##. Then I can observe that ##u_t(x,t)=c⋅f'(x+ct)## and that ##u_t=c⋅u_x##. I honestly don't understand how I would apply this derivative to the concept of shifting the graph of ##u(x,t)## to the left or to the right. I have a factor of ##c## there. So I guess the instantaneous rate at which ##u(x,t)## changes with respect to ##t## is ##c## times greater than the instantaneous rate at which ##u(x,t)## changes with respect to ##x##? I don't know how to start this problem, honestly.

I mean I could try setting ##u(x,t)=f(x+ct)=α## and graphing it. From there I could then set ##u(x,0)=α##. Then I guess I could set ##u(x,1)=α## and by changing the boundary conditions each time, I could perhaps show that as ##t## increases, this arbitrary point of ##u(x,t)## moves to the left for each increment of ##t##. And I guess I could use the partial derivative of ##u(x,t)##, ##c⋅f'(x+ct)## to show that ##f(x+ct)## changes at an instantaneous rate of ##c##. The problem is, I don't exactly understand how ##f'(x+ct)## would correspond to a shift in the graph of ##u## in the ##ux##-plane...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're not supposed to differentiate anything here. It's just asking you to plot ##u(x,t_0)## and ##u(x,t_1)## for some values of ##t_0## and ##t_1## and show that the wave is moving to the left or right with speed ##c##. Just set ##c=1##.

Thanks.

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves. It relates the wave's amplitude, frequency, and wavelength to its speed and the medium through which it travels.

2. How is the wave equation used in science?

The wave equation is used to study and understand various types of waves, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. It helps scientists predict and analyze the behavior of waves in different environments and can also be used to design and optimize technologies that utilize wave phenomena.

3. What are the key components of the wave equation?

The wave equation has two main components: the wave's amplitude, which represents the height or strength of the wave, and the wave's frequency, which represents the number of complete wave cycles per unit of time. These components are related to each other through the speed of the wave and the medium it is traveling through.

4. How does the wave equation explain wave propagation?

The wave equation explains wave propagation by illustrating how a disturbance in one location can cause a wave to travel through a medium. As the wave travels, it carries energy and information, but the medium itself remains stationary. The wave equation helps us understand how different factors, such as wavelength and medium properties, can affect the speed and behavior of the wave.

5. Can the wave equation be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the wave equation can be applied to a wide range of waves, including mechanical, electromagnetic, and acoustic waves. However, the specific form of the equation may vary depending on the type of wave and the properties of the medium it is traveling through.