Solving Very Difficult Limit Homework

• Thread starter dirk_mec1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: I'll try to figure it out.In summary, the conversation discusses solving a limit problem using a hint provided and properties of logarithms. The final solution is found to be 3/2 by using the squeeze theorem and verifying a key inequality.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

http://www.sosmath.com/CBB/latexrender/pictures/f45d5e5b84cb5aecef3fd2f568739e32.gif

Homework Equations

hint:

http://www.sosmath.com/CBB/latexrender/pictures/fee1863dab606636f986e63c261b565f.gif
http://www.sosmath.com/CBB/latexrender/pictures/61d6e1cc712fcb6ac6f19b40851e85be.gif
http://www.sosmath.com/CBB/latexrender/pictures/ae169a7ff6b1d2c09a977e5aad223650.gif
http://www.sosmath.com/CBB/latexrender/pictures/cd14347d968bdb5be67f72e832558702.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how the hint helps in this limit. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't finish it, but here's my possible hint. If L=your limit, consider log L.

Edited to add: f(x) will be log(1+x). I "feel" like this is right.

Yes, that's helps a little bit but what do you mean by f(x) will be 1+x? How is that helpful?

dirk_mec1 said:
what do you mean by f(x) will be 1+x?

It will turn out that you will want to use f(x)=log(1+x).

Anyway, I did finish it now, and it works out. Use the log of the limit idea as I first suggested and apply properties of logs. At some step you will get terms with log(n+k). Rewrite as log[n(1+k/n)]=log n + log(1+k/n). Eventually you'll have to decide what to use for x, and it's not too hard to guess. Write out what you can, and I bet you will get it. If not, post your work and I'll give you more hints. I predict from time to time you'll say things to yourself like "wow, I can't believe those terms canceled out exactly, this must be right."

[tex] \ln(L) = \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{1}{2^n} \left( \stackrel{n}{k} \right) \left( \ln(n) + \ln \left(1+\frac{k}{n} \right) \right) - \ln(n) [/tex]
Now if [tex]f(x) = \ln(1+x)[/tex] then B_n(1) is what I have, I only need to add an extra (1/2^n)* ln(2) and (subtract it later) to use the hint but for B_n(1)[tex] \ \sum_{k=0}^n \left( \stackrel{n}{k} \right) \ln \left(1+\frac{k}{n} \right) - \ln(2) \leq \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n}} \leq \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
[tex] \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) ^n \sum_{k=0}^n \left( \stackrel{n}{k} \right) \ln(n) = \ln(n) [/tex]

so this cancels the last term leaving only that annoying thing from above plus that term which I needed to substract:
[tex]\left( \frac{1}{2} \right) ^n \left[ \frac{1}{2} + \ln(2) \right] [/tex]So the limit is 1? Am I going in the right direction?

Last edited:
Looking good, but B_n(1) would be 0. I used a different value for x.

(Also, leave [tex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}}[/tex] as is. Don't replace it by 1/2.)

x=0? then

[tex]
\ \sum_{k=0}^n \left( \stackrel{n}{k} \right) \ln \left(1+\frac{k}{n} \right) - \ln(1) \leq \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n}}
[/tex]

This results in:

[tex]
\left( \frac{1}{2} \right) ^n \left[ \frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}}\right] = \frac{ \frac{1}{2}^{n+1} }{\sqrt{n}} \rightarrow 0
[/tex]

as [itex] n \rightarrow \infty [/itex]

Conclusion: the limit is 1.

Last edited:
dirk_mec1 said:
x=0?

[tex]B_n(x)=\sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} x^k (1-x)^{n-k} f(\frac{k}{n})[/tex]

so [tex]B_n(0)=\sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} 0^k 1^{n-k} f(\frac{k}{n})[/tex]

so [tex]B_n(0)=\binom{n}{0} 0^0 f(0)[/tex], which can't be helpful.

Also, [tex]B_n(1)=\sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} 1^k 0^{n-k} f(\frac{k}{n})[/tex]

so [tex]B_n(1)=\sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} 1^k 0^{n-k} f(\frac{k}{n})[/tex]

so [tex]B_n(1)=\binom{n}{n} 0^0 f(1)[/tex] which may not be 0 as I claimed earlier, but it still can't be helpful.

Oh well, average the two...

Oops :biggrin:

I see, if you take x =1/2 it matches my term exactly:
[tex]
B_n \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) =\sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) ^n f \left(\frac{k}{n} \right)
[/tex]Now

[tex] | B_n \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) - f \left(\frac{1}{2} \right)| \leq \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n} } [/tex] [tex]
\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n}} + \ln \left( \frac{3}{2} \right) \longrightarrow \ln \left( \frac{3}{2}\ \right) \mbox{as}\ n \rightarrow \infty
[/tex]So the limit is 3/2!

Last edited:
dirk_mec1 said:
So the limit is 3/2!

Hooray! Isn't that nice!

I wrote [tex]\ln \left( \frac{3}{2} \right)-\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n} }\le B_n \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) \le \ln \left( \frac{3}{2} \right)+ \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n} } [/tex] to make the final steps crystal clear.

Don't forget to verify [tex]|f(x)-f(y)|\le|x-y|[/tex] so that the hint applies.

Billy Bob said:
Hooray! Isn't that nice!
Yes it is :)

I wrote [tex]\ln \left( \frac{3}{2} \right)-\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n} }\le B_n \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) \le \ln \left( \frac{3}{2} \right)+ \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n} } [/tex] to make the final steps crystal clear.
Right, so the squeeze theorem applies.

Don't forget to verify [tex]|f(x)-f(y)|\le|x-y|[/tex] so that the hint applies.

I'm currently thinking on the proof for the hint but CS (after triangle inequality) gives me some nasty squares...

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence near a specific point.

2. How do I solve a limit problem?

To solve a limit problem, you need to first understand the given function and the limit point. Then, you can use various limit theorems and techniques, such as factoring, rationalizing, and L'Hôpital's rule, to evaluate the limit.

3. What are the common types of difficult limit problems?

Some common types of difficult limit problems include indeterminate forms, limits involving trigonometric functions, and limits at infinity. These types of problems require more advanced techniques and careful analysis to solve.

4. What are some tips for solving very difficult limit homework?

Some tips for solving very difficult limit homework include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using algebraic manipulations to simplify the expression, and checking your answer using a graphing calculator or online limit calculator.

5. Why is it important to learn how to solve difficult limit problems?

Learning how to solve difficult limit problems is important because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These skills are valuable not only in mathematics but also in other areas of study and in real-life situations where analytical and logical thinking are required.