Solving Wave Motion Problems: Find Amplitude & Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for average power of a transverse harmonic wave and how to increase the power by a factor of 100. It also delves into a question about the linear mass density of a nonuniform wire, the wave velocity and amplitude for large values of x, and finding the values of k and w for y(x,t). The conversation concludes with a discussion on which quantity, amplitude or frequency, would be easier to change and clarifying the units for energy and momentum.
ilovephysics
first i have a quick question, for average power of a transverse harmonic wave the equation has the quantities tension, frequency and amplitude. the question asks me to find how much i need to change each quantity to increase the power by a factor of 100, i understand all that but then it asks me which quantity is the easiest to change. i got that the tension needed to be increased by a factor of 10000, and the frequency and amplitude only needed a factor of 10, I am not quite sure if frequency or amplitude is easier to change, I am guessing frequency because amplitude cannot be directly changed, whereas frequency you just move the string up and down faster?

anyways to the question I am having trouble with:

1) the linear mass density of a nonuniform wire under constant tension decreases gradually along the wire so that an incident wave is transmitted without reflection. The wire in uniform for -infinity < x <= 0. In this region a transverse wave has the form y(x,t) = 0.003cos(25x-50t) with x,y in meteres and t in seconds. From x = 0 to x =20m the mass density decreases from initial mass density to (initial mass density / 4). For 20<= x < infinity, the mass density is constant at (initial mass density / 4). a) what is the wave velocity for large values of x b)what is the amplitude for large values of x? c) give y(x,t) for the large values of x

i got part a and it turns out to be 4 m/s, but i don't know what to do to get the amplitude, also in part c how do i find the k and w(omega)? is the k constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
To your first set of questions:

If your vibrating your guitar string and its amplitude is 1 cm right now. You're telling me you want to increase it to 10cm? Tension is out of the story. Originally we had to pull it by 100N, now we need to pull it by 100000N. I doubt any material would withstand that.

I'll come back to your second question later if nobody tackles it.

so which would be easier to change, amplitude of frequency? we both need to change them by a factor of 10

for the 2nd question I am just not sure how to get the amplitude

Q#2:

Get the amplitude for the wave on the thick (negative x) side.

Is the speed the same? wave count/second or wave count/meter ?

No reflection ...
which do you suppose is the same for negative and positive x :
Energy /second, E/meter, E/wave; or momentum/sec ...
or transverse (restoring) Force (maximum) ; or is it acceleration?

Last edited:

1. What is wave motion and why is it important to solve problems related to it?

Wave motion refers to the propagation of energy through a medium without the transport of matter. It is important to solve problems related to wave motion because many natural phenomena, such as sound, light, and earthquake waves, can be described and understood through the principles of wave motion. Furthermore, many technological advancements, such as sonar and radar, rely on the understanding and manipulation of wave motion.

2. How is amplitude defined and why is it important in solving wave motion problems?

Amplitude is defined as the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position. In other words, it represents the height or intensity of a wave. It is important in solving wave motion problems because it affects the energy and intensity of the wave, and can also be used to determine the wave's properties, such as frequency and wavelength.

3. What is the relationship between amplitude and velocity in wave motion problems?

The velocity of a wave is directly proportional to its amplitude. This means that as the amplitude increases, the velocity also increases. This relationship is described by the wave equation, v = λf, where v is the velocity, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. Therefore, by finding the amplitude and velocity of a wave, we can also determine its wavelength and frequency.

4. What are some common methods for solving wave motion problems and finding amplitude and velocity?

One common method is to use the wave equation, v = λf, as mentioned earlier. This equation can be used to find the velocity of a wave by measuring its wavelength and frequency. Another method is to use the concept of superposition, where the amplitudes of two or more waves are added together to find the resulting amplitude and velocity. Additionally, mathematical techniques such as differentiation and integration can be used to solve more complex wave motion problems.

5. How can solving wave motion problems be applied in real-life situations?

Solving wave motion problems can be applied in many real-life situations, such as predicting the behavior of ocean waves, designing musical instruments, and understanding the principles behind medical imaging techniques like ultrasound. It is also essential in fields such as acoustics, optics, and seismology. Additionally, solving wave motion problems can lead to the development of new technologies and advancements in various industries.