Solving Work & Forces Problems: Alpine Rescue Team

In summary, the problem is asking for the minimum speed v needed to project a box up an incline to reach a stranded skier. The work-energy theorem is used to calculate this, with the equation Work=1/2(mv^2)-1/2(mv^2) being used. The system gave an incorrect solution due to a trigonometry error, as the cosine of the slope angle α should be used for the friction force, not the sine as in the x-component of gravity. A free body diagram may help clarify this concept.
deuce123

Homework Statement

You are a member of an alpine rescue team and must project a box of supplies, with mass m, up an incline of constant slope angle α so that it reaches a stranded skier who is a vertical distance h above the bottom of the incline. The incline is slippery, but there is some friction present, with kinetic friction coefficient μk.

Use the work-energy theorem to calculate the minimum speed v that you must give the box at the bottom of the incline so that it will reach the skier.
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables m, g, h, μk, and α.

Homework Equations

Work=1/2(mv^2)-1/2(mv^2)--------- the negative velocity being the initial.
Work=Fd[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct solution through checking online because of the system telling me I did my trig. wrong. I need clarification as too why the answer was what it is. In the answer They use cos of the angle for the friction force, but when I break up the components, the x component of gravity is sin, so I don't understand how they got cosine.

Physics news on Phys.org
deuce123 said:

Homework Statement

You are a member of an alpine rescue team and must project a box of supplies, with mass m, up an incline of constant slope angle α so that it reaches a stranded skier who is a vertical distance h above the bottom of the incline. The incline is slippery, but there is some friction present, with kinetic friction coefficient μk.

Use the work-energy theorem to calculate the minimum speed v that you must give the box at the bottom of the incline so that it will reach the skier.
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables m, g, h, μk, and α.

Homework Equations

Work=1/2(mv^2)-1/2(mv^2)--------- the negative velocity being the initial.
Work=Fd[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct solution through checking online because of the system telling me I did my trig. wrong. I need clarification as too why the answer was what it is. In the answer They use cos of the angle for the friction force, but when I break up the components, the x component of gravity is sin, so I don't understand how they got cosine.
Please show us the details of what you did, including free body diagram.

1. What is the purpose of using work and forces in alpine rescue operations?

The purpose of using work and forces in alpine rescue operations is to understand the physical principles involved in moving objects and individuals in a mountainous environment. This knowledge is crucial in planning and executing a successful rescue mission while ensuring the safety of both the rescuers and the rescued.

2. How do you calculate the work done in an alpine rescue situation?

The work done in an alpine rescue situation can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object or person by the distance over which the force is applied. This can be represented by the formula W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What are some common forces encountered in alpine rescue operations?

Some common forces encountered in alpine rescue operations include gravity, friction, tension, and normal force. Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth, while friction is the force that opposes motion. Tension is the force exerted by a rope or cable, and normal force is the force perpendicular to a surface that supports an object's weight.

4. How do you incorporate forces into the rescue plan?

Forces can be incorporated into the rescue plan by considering the direction and magnitude of each force. This will help rescuers determine the safest and most efficient way to move an object or person. Additionally, rescuers must also consider the balance of forces to ensure stability and prevent accidents during the rescue operation.

5. What are some challenges faced by alpine rescue teams when dealing with work and forces?

Some challenges faced by alpine rescue teams when dealing with work and forces include unpredictable weather conditions, difficult terrain, and limited resources. These factors can affect the amount of force needed to move an object or person and can also pose a danger to the rescuers. It is important for rescue teams to have a thorough understanding of work and forces and to constantly assess and adapt their approach to overcome these challenges.