Some confusion about work done to separate charges

In summary, the equation states that the work done decreases as the distance between the particles decreases.
Jaccobtw
Homework Statement
A carbon atom's nucleus and its electrons become separated by 20nm. How much work does it take to separate them in J?
Relevant Equations
##k \frac {q_1 q_2}{r}##
The reason I'm posting this is because I'm confused about the reasoning behind the equation. For oppositely charged particles, wouldn't work done increase with distance? According to this equation you get a higher magnitude of work done the smaller the distance. How can that be? I got the answer right, I just don't understand how this equation works. Some help is much appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you posted is the expression for potential energy, which is the work done by an external agent to assemble the charged particles. For oppositely charged particles it gives you a negative number. As you increase the distance between the particles the magnitude of the potential energy decreases, but since it's negative, that's an increase. Like when you change from ##-5## to ##-3## that's an increase, but it's a decrease in magnitude.

Mister T said:
The equation you posted is the expression for potential energy, which is the work done by an external agent to assemble the charged particles. For oppositely charged particles it gives you a negative number. As you increase the distance between the particles the magnitude of the potential energy decreases, but since it's negative, that's an increase. Like when you change from ##-5## to ##-3## that's an increase, but it's a decrease in magnitude.
What equation would you have used?

Jaccobtw said:
According to this equation you get a higher magnitude of work done the smaller the distance
No you don't: the charges are of opposite sign.

Jaccobtw said:
Same equation. I'm not sure what the exercise composer wants you to do: take the average distance and increase that by 20 nm ?

##\ ##

Jaccobtw said:
Relevant Equations:: ##k \frac {q_1 q_2}{r}##

According to this equation you get a higher magnitude of work done the smaller the distance.
First, that's a formula, not an equation. Second, as @Mister T notes, it's the formula for the energy required to bring two charges from infinity to be distance r apart. If the charges are of the same sign, it will require more energy the closer you squeeze them.

Btw, I do not understand the question as posted. Is it the energy to take them from some unstated separation in the base state to be 20nm apart, or that required to take them from 20nm apart to infinitely separated?

Likes BvU
haruspex said:
First, that's a formula, not an equation. Second, as @Mister T notes, it's the formula for the energy required to bring two charges from infinity to be distance r apart. If the charges are of the same sign, it will require more energy the closer you squeeze them.

Btw, I do not understand the question as posted. Is it the energy to take them from some unstated separation in the base state to be 20nm apart, or that required to take them from 20nm apart to infinitely separated?
I guess I'm supposed to know the normal separation between a carbon atom and its nucleus

Jaccobtw said:
I guess I'm supposed to know the normal separation between a carbon atom and its nucleus
an atom consists of a nucleus surrounded by a cloud of electrons. The average distance of the electrons to the center for a carbon atom isn't all that easy to calculate (it is not the atomic radius. For carbon I find 0.0914 nm as atomic radius) -- and for the energy you would need the average ##1\over r##, which is almost, but not exactly, the same as ##1\over < r > ##.
Hence our puzzledness ...

##\ ##

Likes Jaccobtw
You are starting with a related, but wrong formula for the question. You need to calculate the work done which is a quantity that depends on the initial and final position, so it depends on two different position. You can calculate the work as the difference in potential energy (with a minus sign) between the two points so you need to have two terms in the expression for work. $$W=-(U_2-U_1)=-(\frac{kq_1q_2}{r_2}- \frac{kq_1q_2}{r_1}) $$.
You can see that this is not the same as $$ \frac{kq_1q_2}{r_{12}} $$
where r12 is the displacement between the two positions.

Likes Jaccobtw
Jaccobtw said:
But you stated that you got the right answer, so what did you do? Please post your working.

haruspex said:
But you stated that you got the right answer, so what did you do? Please post your working.
I just plugged the numbers into ##k \frac{q_1 q_2}{r}##. Its probably technically the wrong way to do it, but the answer is close enough.

Jaccobtw said:
Not sure, because the question is so poorly worded.

How are you interpreting the statement of the problem? Do you see the distance between the particles increasing or decreasing?

Jaccobtw said:
I just plugged the numbers into ##k \frac{q_1 q_2}{r}##. Its probably technically the wrong way to do it, but the answer is close enough.
That is the same as finding ##k \frac{q_1 q_2}{r}-k \frac{q_1 q_2}{r'}## if ##r'=\infty##. But, at a guess, you ignored the resulting minus sign and so found ##k \frac{q_1 q_2}{r'}-k \frac{q_1 q_2}{r}##, so what you calculated was the energy to move the electrons from being 20nm from the nucleus to being infinitely far from it.
That fits the question if we change "become" to "start". Is it a translation?

Likes BvU

1. What is work done to separate charges?

The work done to separate charges refers to the amount of energy required to move a charged particle from one point to another against an electric field. This work is typically measured in joules (J).

2. How is work done to separate charges calculated?

The work done to separate charges can be calculated by multiplying the amount of charge (in coulombs) by the potential difference (in volts) between the two points. This can be represented by the equation W = QV, where W is work, Q is charge, and V is potential difference.

3. What is the relationship between work done to separate charges and electric potential energy?

Work done to separate charges is directly related to electric potential energy. When work is done to move a charged particle against an electric field, its potential energy increases. The amount of work done is equal to the change in potential energy.

4. Can work be done to separate charges in a vacuum?

Yes, work can be done to separate charges in a vacuum. Electric fields can exist in a vacuum, and work is still required to move charges against these fields. However, the amount of work done may be different in a vacuum compared to a medium with a higher dielectric constant.

5. How does the distance between charges affect the work done to separate them?

The work done to separate charges is directly proportional to the distance between them. As the distance between charges increases, the work required to move them against an electric field also increases. This can be seen in the equation for electric potential energy, where the distance between charges is in the denominator.