Voltage Confusion: What Am I Missing?

In summary, the concept of voltage can be confusing, but it is essentially a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge in an electric field. Decreasing the distance between two oppositely charged particles will increase the voltage between them, and it takes more energy to separate a charge a greater distance, resulting in a higher voltage. This is because work must be done to bring the charges closer together.
Jaccobtw
Homework Statement
For two oppositely charged particles, does the distance between them increase or decrease voltage?
Relevant Equations
V = kq/r
I'm confused about voltage. According to this equation, decreasing distance would increase the voltage between two oppositely charge particles, but doesn't increasing the distance increase the potetnial energy between the two particles because the amount of work done would increase with distance, correct? It takes more energy to separate a charge a greater amount of distance increasing the voltage. Also the particles would have greater kinetic energy beginning from a larger distance.. What am I not understanding here? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Jaccobtw said:
I'm confused about voltage.
Perhaps it helps to consider the electric potential field as energy per unit of charge.

Jaccobtw said:
According to this equation, decreasing distance would increase the voltage between two oppositely charge particles,
And not talk of voltage between particles.

So a single charge ##q_1##, located at the origin of a coordinate system, has an electric field potential associated in space according to ##V = {k\,q_1\over r}##.

To bring a test charge ##q_2## (a second charge) from infinity to a position at distance ##r## from the origin requires an energy of ##q_2V =
{k\,q_1q_2\over r}##.
I.e. work has to be done to do this if the charges are of opposite sign.

[edit] OOPS! Someone should have jumped on this !
I.e. work has to be done to do this if the charges are of the same sign.

##\ ##

Last edited:
Likes Jaccobtw

1. What is voltage confusion?

Voltage confusion is a common phenomenon in which people confuse voltage with other related terms such as current, resistance, and power. It can also refer to confusion about the different units of measurement for voltage.

2. How is voltage different from current?

Voltage and current are two different properties of electricity. Voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, while current refers to the flow of electric charge through a circuit. In other words, voltage is the force that pushes the electrons, while current is the movement of those electrons.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and resistance?

Voltage and resistance are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as voltage increases, resistance decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's law, which states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

4. Can voltage be dangerous?

Yes, voltage can be dangerous if not handled properly. High voltage can cause electric shock, burns, and even death. It is important to follow safety precautions and use proper equipment when working with high voltage.

5. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured using a device called a voltmeter. The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V). There are different types of voltmeters, including analog and digital, and they can measure both DC (direct current) and AC (alternating current) voltage.