Sound Waves in Different Mediums

In summary, when sound waves travel through increasing temperature, the frequency and wavelength may both increase. Inhaling helium can cause your voice to become high and squeaky due to the increase in speed of sound in a less dense medium. The speed of sound can be modeled using the equation Vsnd= √(γRT/ M), where T represents temperature and σ represents the inertia of the medium. When considering sources of sound as strings vibrating at their fundamental frequency, the fundamental frequency can be expressed as a function of string length and the speed of sound. Changes in the speed of sound can affect the frequency of sound waves.
Joseph Phan

Homework Statement

1) When sound waves travel through increasing temperature, what increases, frequency, wavelength, or both?
2) When you inhale helium and then your voice becomes high and squeaky, what causes this to happen?

Homework Equations

Vsnd= √(γRT/ M)
vsnd= λf

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in both # 1 and 2, the speed of sound increases, but I'm fixated on the concept that when sound travels through different mediums, such as from air to water, the frequency stays the same, but the wavelength changes.

For #1, Temperature increases, which increases the velocity of the molecules in air, so I'm assuming that the frequency increases as the number of oscillations/s increases. However, does the wavelength change?

For #2, I'm confused on how frequency(pitch) changes, if the medium is changed. From the recent concept in that the frequency of sound does not change from one medium to another and that the speed of sound increases in He than in air, because He is less dense than air, how does your voice get higher as you inhale helium?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Joseph Phan said:
Vsnd= √(abs T/ σ)
Where did you get this? What do symbols T and σ represent?

kuruman said:
Where did you get this? What do symbols T and σ represent?
My professor used different greek notations, I think what he meant was that velocity of sound was proportional to the square root of abs. temperature over inertia

Model the sources of sound in (1) and (2) as being strings vibrating at their fundamental frequency. Vocal chords are strings. Write an expression for the fundamental frequency in terms of the length of the strings and the speed of sound. Study the expression and consider what happens to the frequency when the speed of sound changes.

What are sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium, such as air, water, or solid objects. They are produced by vibrations and can be heard by the human ear.

How do sound waves travel through different mediums?

Sound waves travel through different mediums by causing particles in the medium to vibrate. These vibrations then travel through the medium, carrying the sound energy with them.

How does the speed of sound waves change in different mediums?

The speed of sound waves is affected by the density and temperature of the medium. Generally, sound waves travel faster in denser mediums and at higher temperatures.

Can sound waves travel through a vacuum?

No, sound waves require a medium to travel through and cannot travel through a vacuum. This is because there are no particles in a vacuum for the sound waves to vibrate.

Why do sound waves sound different in different mediums?

The different properties of each medium, such as density and temperature, affect the speed and wavelength of sound waves. This results in changes in the pitch and frequency of the sound, making it sound different to our ears.