Source transformation, current & voltage sources

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of current source combination in a circuit and the confusion it causes. It is explained that in this scenario, the total current entering and exiting the node is equal, so the two current sources can be combined into a single source. Additionally, the conversation mentions the need to find the equivalent resistance of the resistors and calculate the voltage across it.
ace8888
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi,

I was working on a the source transformation and i got to the part where there are two current sources in the circuit. The current sources were added together (giving they were going in the same direction). This is the part that confused me.

1. Was KCL done at the common node on the top to get the sum of the two current sources?? if so we didnt account for the current of R1 & R2? How can we just add two sources ( i know they are going in the same direction) and ignore the rest of the components?

2. On one of the posts that i read stated, In series the voltage would add and in parallel the current will add?

Please provide explanation/derivation as I'm confused.

thank you!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 521
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are no components between the tops of the current sources (or the bottom either). The total current entering the node is equal to the total current exiting the node. So yes, in this case you can combine them to a single 6 mA source.

scottdave said:
There are no components between the tops of the current sources (or the bottom either). The total current entering the node is equal to the total current exiting the node. So yes, in this case you can combine them to a single 6 mA source.
That same node also has current from the both resistors so when you're combining it into one where are those two currents? That was my question if KVL was done at the top node, you don't account for the current of R1 and R2??

Some of that 6mA will exit through R1, and some will exit through R2. What you want to do, is find an equivalent resistance of R1||R2, then find voltage of 6 mA through this resistor.

1. What is source transformation?

Source transformation is a technique used in circuit analysis to simplify a circuit by replacing a voltage source with an equivalent current source or vice versa. This allows for easier calculation of current and voltage values.

2. How do I perform a source transformation?

To perform a source transformation, you can follow these steps:
1. Identify the source (voltage or current) that you want to transform.
2. Calculate the equivalent resistance of the circuit.
3. Use Ohm's law to calculate the value of the new source (current or voltage).
4. Replace the original source with the new equivalent source.
5. Recalculate the circuit values using the new source.

3. What is the difference between a current source and a voltage source?

A current source is a device that provides a constant current output, regardless of the load resistance. In contrast, a voltage source provides a constant voltage output, and the current changes depending on the load resistance. In other words, a current source controls the flow of current, while a voltage source controls the voltage in a circuit.

4. Why do we use source transformation?

Source transformation is used to simplify circuit analysis and calculations. By converting a voltage source to a current source, or vice versa, we can often reduce the complexity of a circuit and make it easier to solve. This technique is particularly useful when analyzing circuits with multiple sources.

5. Can source transformation be used in any circuit?

Source transformation can be used in most circuits, but there are some limitations. It is most effective when analyzing linear circuits with only independent sources. Non-linear circuits or circuits with dependent sources may not be suitable for source transformation. Additionally, the technique may not be useful in circuits with complex configurations or high-frequency components.