Source transformations doesn't always produce same result?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of a source transformation on a series RC circuit and a parallel RC circuit. It is noted that after the capacitor is fully charged, there will be only voltage across the capacitor in a series circuit, but in a parallel circuit with a current source, there will be voltage across both the resistor and capacitor. In the follow-up question, it is determined that the resulting voltage across the parallel setup is determined by the current and resistance in the circuit. The expert confirms that the understanding is correct.
eng_stud
I was under the impression that a source transformation doesn't change a circuit at all, which I guess is an oversimplification.

If you have a series RC circuit, with a DC voltage source, after the transients have died out, all voltage will be across the capacitor, and none across the resistor, as there is no current flowing anymore (when cap is fully "charged"), right?

If you now do a source transformation, changing the DC voltage source to a DC current source, with the resistor in parallel, you now have a parallel RC circuit with a DC current source. Now, surely, current will never cease as it has another path through the resistor. So after the capacitor is charged, all current goes through the resistor. So in this case there's voltage across both the resistor and capacitor?

This might all be incredibly obvious. I just want to make sure there is nothing here that I have misunderstood!:)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Follow-up question: If you have a circuit with a 10 A dc current source, with a 3 Ohm resistor and a 0.02 F capacitor in parallel, what determines the resulting voltage across the parallel setup? When the capacitor is fully charged? Or the voltage that would have been the source had we done a source transformation? (i.e. v=ir=10*3=30 V across both components).

I'm assuming the latter?

Your understanding in both posts is correct. With a current source, a resistor and capacitor in parallel the final source voltage will be equal to the current times the resistance.

Thanks, skeptic2!

Related to Source transformations doesn't always produce same result?

1. What is a source transformation?

A source transformation is a mathematical technique used to simplify electric circuits by replacing a voltage source with a current source, or vice versa, while maintaining the same output characteristics.

2. Why doesn't source transformation always produce the same result?

Source transformation may not always produce the same result due to the presence of dependent sources or complex circuit configurations. In some cases, the transformation may not be applicable or may result in a different circuit altogether.

3. How do I know when to use source transformation?

Source transformation should be used when trying to simplify a circuit and reduce the number of components. It is most effective when the circuit contains multiple sources and can be transformed into a simpler form with only one source.

4. Can source transformation be applied to any type of circuit?

No, source transformation is only applicable to linear circuits. Nonlinear circuits, such as those containing diodes or transistors, cannot be simplified using source transformation.

5. Are there any limitations to source transformation?

Yes, source transformation may not always produce the most optimal or efficient circuit. It is important to analyze the circuit before and after transformation to ensure that the desired output characteristics are maintained and the circuit remains stable.