Special & General Relativity: CTC Metrics in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary: The Kerr metric is not valid for describing the exterior of the rotating Tipler cylinder, but it is valid for describing the negative energy density required.
YRC
I am studying metrics that exhibit CTCs. I was looking at a few different metrics...
Tipler's solution
Godel metric
Kerr metric
For starters to compare them, I am trying to convert said metrics into cylindrical coordinates. Thanks in advance for any help😃

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
YRC said:
I am trying to convert said metrics into cylindrical coordinates.
What have you found in sources that you have looked at? For the last two, at any rate, it should be easy to find expressions for the metrics in cylindrical coordinates.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
What have you found in sources that you have looked at? For the last two, at any rate, it should be easy to find expressions for the metrics in cylindrical coordinates.
I understand that the coordinate transform for the Godel metric would look like this, ##x^{\alpha}=(t, x, y, z)=(t, r\cos{\phi}, r\sin{\phi}, z)## for cartesian and cylindrical coordinates. The cylindrical metric itself is given by ##g_{t,t}=c^2##,##g_{r,r}=1/(1+(r/2a)^2)##, ##g_{\phi,\phi}= -r^2(1-(r/2a)^2)##, ##g_{z,z}=-1## and ##g_{t,\phi}=r^2*c/(\sqrt{2}a), g_{\phi,t}=r^2*c/(\sqrt{2}a)## right? That's what I found for Godel, For the Tipler cylinder I found it in cylindrical coordinates... ds^2 = H(dr^2+ dz^2 ) + Ldϕ^2 + 2Mdϕdt − Fdt^2 , What about the Kerr metric that is commonly expressed in Boyer-Lindquist coordinates?

Mentors' note: The Latex was posted without the required delimiters. We've edited in the delimiters but have not otherwise cleaned up the formatting. OP, would you please finish this cleanup?

Last edited by a moderator:
YRC said:
I am studying metrics that exhibit CTCs.
I don't know if this helps, but any (locally Minkowski) metric can exhibit CTC. For example the flat metric
$$ds^2=dt^2-dx^2$$
contains CTC's if we interpret it as a spacetime with cylindrical topology in which ##t## and ##t+2\pi## are identified. The point is that cylinder admits a flat metric, so when we say that the metric is flat, we have not excluded a possibility that it is a cylinder.

EDIT: It's not valid for any metric, but it's valid for any metric with timelike Killing vector.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Demystifier said:
I don't know if this helps, but any (locally Minkowski) metric can exhibit CTC. For example the flat metric
$$ds^2=dt^2-dx^2$$
contains CTC's if we interpret it as a spacetime with cylindrical topology in which ##t## and ##t+2\pi## are identified. The point is that cylinder admits a flat metric, so when we say that the metric is flat, we have not excluded a possibility that it is a cylinder.
Yes thanks, the Tipler cylinder metric does reduce to the Minkowski line element in cylindrical coordinates when the angular velocity is 0. I was wondering about using the Kerr metric to describe the exterior of the rotating Tipler cylinder. How would that work? Would that work? In a configuration where we have a metric describing the negative energy density required, and this exterior, would CTCs arise in a confined region bounded by the cylinder?

1. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity extends this to include non-inertial reference frames and the effects of gravity.

2. What is a CTC metric in cylindrical coordinates?

A CTC (closed timelike curve) metric in cylindrical coordinates describes the geometry of spacetime in which closed timelike curves are possible. This means that an object could potentially travel back in time along a circular path.

3. Can CTC metrics in cylindrical coordinates occur in our universe?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that CTC metrics exist in our universe. However, some theories, such as the Alcubierre drive, propose the possibility of creating CTCs through manipulating spacetime.

4. How does general relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

In general relativity, time dilation occurs due to the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects. This means that an observer in a strong gravitational field will experience time passing slower than an observer in a weaker gravitational field.

5. What are some practical applications of special and general relativity?

Special and general relativity have many practical applications, such as GPS technology, which relies on precise timing measurements that take into account the effects of time dilation. General relativity also helps explain phenomena such as black holes and gravitational lensing.