Special Relativity collision problem

In summary, the problem involves a photon of energy E_0 colliding with a free particle of mass m_0 at rest. The scattered photon flies off at an angle θ, and the question is to find the scattering angle of the particle, β. The relevant equations are conservation of momentum in the x and y directions, and conservation of energy. By substituting and solving the equations, β can be found in terms of the given parameters, E_0, m_0 and θ.
subsonicman

Homework Statement

A photon of Energy E_0 collides with a free particle of mass m_0 at rest. If the scattered photon flies off at angle θ, what is the scattering angle of the particle, β?

Homework Equations

The relevant equations are conservation of momentum in x and y direction and conservation of energy.

Conservation of energy:
E_0=E_s+m_0c^2γ

Conservation of momentum:
x direction: E_0/c=E_s*cosθ/c+m_0vγ*cosβ
y direction: E_s*sinθ=m_0vγ*sinβ

The Attempt at a Solution

Of course I need to first get rid of E_s and v (which is also inside of γ) and then solve for β. So first I get rid of E_s by plugging in E_0-m_0c^2γ in the two momentum equations. Then I solve for v in the y direction momentum equation. When I plug it in I get this ridiculous quadratic equation that, while it can be solved, becomes even more ridiculous when I plug it into the x direction momentum equation. And I can't solve it.

I was wondering if possibly there is some nicer way to solve this problem, possibly with better substitutions at the start or some other technique I'm not seeing. Anyways, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
subsonicman said:

Homework Statement

A photon of Energy E_0 collides with a free particle of mass m_0 at rest. If the scattered photon flies off at angle θ, what is the scattering angle of the particle, β?

Homework Equations

The relevant equations are conservation of momentum in x and y direction and conservation of energy.

Conservation of energy:
E_0=E_s+m_0c^2γ

Conservation of momentum:
x direction: E_0/c=E_s*cosθ/c+m_0vγ*cosβ
y direction: E_s*sinθ=m_0vγ*sinβ

The Attempt at a Solution

Of course I need to first get rid of E_s and v (which is also inside of γ) and then solve for β. So first I get rid of E_s by plugging in E_0-m_0c^2γ in the two momentum equations. Then I solve for v in the y direction momentum equation. When I plug it in I get this ridiculous quadratic equation that, while it can be solved, becomes even more ridiculous when I plug it into the x direction momentum equation. And I can't solve it.

I was wondering if possibly there is some nicer way to solve this problem, possibly with better substitutions at the start or some other technique I'm not seeing. Anyways, thanks in advance!

It's still a pretty ugly result (well, it's not pretty), but I don't get a quadratic. Here's how I did it:

I generally prefer not to introduce ##\gamma## into these problems because it complicates the algebra. Instead, I use ##E^2 = m^2c^4 + p^2c^2## for the energy conservation. Remember that this E represents the sum of the rest-mass energy plus the kinetic energy of a body. For a photon, it simply reduces to E = pc. Rewrite the photon momenta immediately in terms of energy.

You should get 3 simultaneous equations when you write down the conservation statements for energy, horiz. momentum and vert. momentum. There are three unknowns: ##E'##, the energy of the photon post-collision, ##p##, the momentum of the particle post-collision and ##\beta##, what you need to solve for. I first solved for ##E'## in terms of the givens using the energy conservation equation, then substituted that into the equations for momentum conservation. A simple division of one equation over another should now give you the answer, if you remember that ##\frac{\sin \beta}{\cos \beta} = \tan \beta##.

Related to Special Relativity collision problem

1. What is the Special Relativity collision problem?

The Special Relativity collision problem is a theoretical physics problem that involves calculating the motion of objects in collisions at high speeds, taking into account the principles of special relativity. This problem is important in understanding the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions, such as those observed in particle accelerators.

2. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the behavior of objects moving at constant speeds, particularly at high speeds close to the speed of light. It is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

3. How does special relativity affect collisions?

Special relativity affects collisions by changing the way we calculate the velocities and energies of objects involved in the collision. In classical mechanics, we can simply add velocities and energies, but in special relativity, these quantities are not additive and must be calculated using the Lorentz transformations. This leads to different outcomes for the behavior of objects in collisions at high speeds.

4. What are some key concepts to understand in solving Special Relativity collision problems?

Some key concepts to understand in solving Special Relativity collision problems include the Lorentz transformations, which relate the measurements of space and time in different frames of reference, and the concept of relativistic mass, which takes into account the increase in mass of an object as it approaches the speed of light. Additionally, understanding the principles of relativity and the constancy of the speed of light is crucial in solving these problems.

5. How are Special Relativity collision problems relevant in the real world?

Special Relativity collision problems are relevant in the real world because they help us understand the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions, such as those observed in particle accelerators. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics, and has also led to advancements in technology, such as GPS systems that rely on the principles of special relativity to function accurately.