Special relativity problem (momentum and velocity)

In summary, the final velocity of a particle traveling at 8 E7 m/s, when its momentum is doubled, is approximately 145,254,607 m/s. This was calculated using the equations for relativistic momentum and the dilatation factor.
Quazswed

Homework Statement

A particle traveling at 8 E7 m/s is accelerated so that its momentum doubles. What is the final velocity of the particle?

Homework Equations

p=ym0v
y= 1 / sqr(1-(v/c)^2)
p2= 2(p1)
Where p2 is the final momentum and p1 the initial

The Attempt at a Solution

For the initial velocity gamma=1,0376
p1 is therefore, calculated with m0=1 (I put it this way thinking it was not relevant to the problem, and it was meant to be eliminated when finding p2) 83008000 kg m/s
I tried to compare the two equations for the relativistic momentum but the best i came up with was that (v2)x(y2)=166016000 m/s
Given that the result written on the book is 1,5 E8 m/s, y2 must be 1,107
because y2= 2y1v1 / v2
But for a velocity of 1,5 E8 m/s (0,5c), the dilatation factor is 1,154
I really don't know, I keep trying the same method, I can't see a different way to resolve it

Sorry for the bad english, not my lenguage
Thanks to everybody in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quazswed said:
A particle traveling at 8 E8 m/s
That can't be right. What is the speed?

uops, I'm sorry, i meant E7
anyway I used 8 E7 in the equations
Also, edited in the first post, thanks for pointing that out

Quazswed said:
I tried to compare the two equations for the relativistic momentum but the best i came up with was that (v2)x(y2)=166016000 m/s
Assuming your arithmetic is correct (I didn't check) write the left hand side entirely in terms of v2. Then solve for v2.

2y1v1 is = 166011471 m/s, I think it's correct now

so

2y1v1 = 166011471 m/s = k

y2= 1 / sqr(1-(v2/c)2)

v2 / sqr(1-(v2/c)2) = k

v2^2 = k^2 - k^2(v2/c)^2

(k^2/c^2 +1)v2 = k^2

v2 = sqr( k^2 / (k^2/c^2 +1))

which is 145254607 m/s, it's so close to 150000000 m/s

Is this an error caused by bad arithmetic or something else, more important?

Last edited:
Quazswed said:
which is 145254607 m/s, it's so close to 150000000 m/s

Is this an error caused by bad arithmetic or something else, more important?
It's not an error. The book just rounded off to 2 digits.

Seems like I was too pessimistic then :)
Thank you very, very much for your help

Related to Special relativity problem (momentum and velocity)

1. What is special relativity and why is it important?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. It is important because it revolutionized our understanding of space and time, and led to the famous equation E=mc^2, which describes the relationship between energy, mass, and the speed of light.

2. What is the difference between momentum and velocity?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, while velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. Momentum takes into account both the mass and velocity of an object, while velocity only considers the speed and direction.

3. How does special relativity affect momentum and velocity?

In special relativity, momentum and velocity are not independent of each other. As an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its momentum increases significantly. This can lead to counterintuitive effects, such as an object with zero mass having momentum.

4. How is mass affected by special relativity?

In special relativity, the concept of mass changes. It is no longer a constant, but instead depends on the object's velocity. As an object's velocity increases, its mass also increases, making it more difficult to accelerate. This is known as relativistic mass.

5. What is the twin paradox and how does it relate to special relativity?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment that demonstrates the effects of special relativity on time. It involves two identical twins, one who stays on Earth and one who travels into space at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth due to time dilation, a phenomenon predicted by special relativity.