Special Relativity: Super-Novae light on earth

In summary: So, all you need to do is write ## \Delta t' = - \frac {v\Delta x} {c^2} ##, using the Earth frame of reference.In summary, the question asks about the time difference between two novas occurring simultaneously in the constellation Lyra, as seen by Earth astronomers and by observers on an aircraft flying towards Lyra. Using the given distances and velocities, we can calculate the time difference in the airplane frame using the equation ## \Delta t' = - \frac {v\Delta x} {c^2} ##, assuming that the Earth is at rest in the Earth frame.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

A nova is the sudden, brief brightening of a star. Suppose Earth astronomers see two novas occur simultaneously, one in the constellation Lyra. Both nova are the same distance from Earth, ## 2.5 \times 10^3 [cy]##, and are in exactly opposite direction from Earth. Observers on board an aircraft flying at ## 1000 [\frac {km} {h}] ## on a line from Orion toward Lyra see the same novas, but note they are not simulatneous.

(a) For the observers on the aircraft, how much time separates the novas?

(b) Which one occurs first? (Assume Earth is an inertial reference frame)

I know someone has asked this question on here before, but my issue is more of a conceptual one, than it is a calculations difficulty (Although, the conceptual argument is impeding my calculations).

Homework Equations

Givens:
## D_E = 2.5 \times 10^3 [cy]##
##v_A= 1000 [\frac {km} {h}] ##

Equations:
## \gamma = \frac {1} {\sqrt{1- \frac {v^2} {c^2}}} ##
## x' = \gamma (x-vt) ##
## t' = y(t- \frac {vx} {c^2})##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm REALLY having a hard time tackling special relativity. From my understanding, from the observer on airships perspective, the airship is at rest, while the super-novae are shifting at 1000 [km/h]... since this velocity is so small ##\gamma## must go to 1? Then we are just left with the above equations, without the gamma.

So the first question, (a), I have the equation ## t' = (t- \frac {vx} {c^2}) ##, I have to find some kind of way to replace the t value, as I can't use the equation without it. Am I understanding correctly that if we take time to be 0 at the event I can cancel that out? In which case I would be left with ## t' = - \frac {vx} {c^2} ## . In order to evaluate this ##t'##, I need the original x, not the x' ? Which is just the distance from one novae to the Earth times 2...

I'm also very confused as to whether, or not "how much time separates the novas?" means how much distance of time is between the two novae, or the time DIFFERENCE between the two events, it is incredibly unclear with that wording, but continuing with my thought process...

## t' = - \frac {vx} {c^2} ##

I'm not sure if this is the correct expression for the time "separation", or not. Some critique on my thought process, and my equations would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are asked "how much time separates the two novas". That is a question about the difference in the time coordinate for the one nova and the time coordinate for the other nova (in the airplane frame). You can calculate the time coordinate for both in the Earth frame.

RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

A nova is the sudden, brief brightening of a star. Suppose Earth astronomers see two novas occur simultaneously, one in the constellation Lyra. Both nova are the same distance from Earth, ## 2.5 \times 10^3 [cy]##, and are in exactly opposite direction from Earth. Observers on board an aircraft flying at ## 1000 [\frac {km} {h}] ## on a line from Orion toward Lyra see the same novas, but note they are not simulatneous.

(a) For the observers on the aircraft, how much time separates the novas?

(b) Which one occurs first? (Assume Earth is an inertial reference frame)

I know someone has asked this question on here before, but my issue is more of a conceptual one, than it is a calculations difficulty (Although, the conceptual argument is impeding my calculations).

Homework Equations

Givens:
## D_E = 2.5 \times 10^3 [cy]##
##v_A= 1000 [\frac {km} {h}] ##

Equations:
## \gamma = \frac {1} {\sqrt{1- \frac {v^2} {c^2}}} ##
## x' = \gamma (x-vt) ##
## t' = y(t- \frac {vx} {c^2})##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm REALLY having a hard time tackling special relativity. From my understanding, from the observer on airships perspective, the airship is at rest, while the super-novae are shifting at 1000 [km/h]... since this velocity is so small ##\gamma## must go to 1? Then we are just left with the above equations, without the gamma.

So the first question, (a), I have the equation ## t' = (t- \frac {vx} {c^2}) ##, I have to find some kind of way to replace the t value, as I can't use the equation without it. Am I understanding correctly that if we take time to be 0 at the event I can cancel that out? In which case I would be left with ## t' = - \frac {vx} {c^2} ## . In order to evaluate this ##t'##, I need the original x, not the x' ? Which is just the distance from one novae to the Earth times 2...

I'm also very confused as to whether, or not "how much time separates the novas?" means how much distance of time is between the two novae, or the time DIFFERENCE between the two events, it is incredibly unclear with that wording, but continuing with my thought process...

## t' = - \frac {vx} {c^2} ##

I'm not sure if this is the correct expression for the time "separation", or not. Some critique on my thought process, and my equations would be much appreciated.
Most of your assessment is correct. All you need to do now is to write ## \Delta t' = - \frac {v\Delta x} {c^2} ##, since in the Earth frame of reference (neglecting the movement of the Earth itself, which certainly must be significant), ##\Delta t=0##.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time and how they are affected by the motion of objects.

2. What is a super-nova?

A super-nova is a powerful explosion that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life cycle and collapses under its own gravitational force.

3. How does special relativity relate to super-novae light on earth?

Special relativity explains how the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the light from a super-nova, which travels at the speed of light, will appear the same to all observers on Earth.

4. Can special relativity explain the Doppler effect of super-novae light?

Yes, special relativity can explain the Doppler effect, which is the change in frequency of light or sound waves due to the relative motion between the source and the observer. This effect is important in understanding the redshift of light from distant super-novae, which provides evidence for the expansion of the universe.

5. Are there any other applications of special relativity in studying super-novae?

Yes, special relativity is also used in calculating the energy released by a super-nova explosion and in predicting the formation of black holes. It also provides a framework for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in extreme conditions, such as those found in super-novae.