Specific heat capacity question

In summary, when a car brakes, 112500J of thermal energy is generated in the brake drums. The specific heat capacity of the drums is 460.5 Jkg^-1K^-1, and the mass is 28 kg. When a piece of iron with a mass of 200g and a temperature of 300°C is dropped into 1.00kg of water with a temperature of 20°C, the eventual temperature of the water will be somewhere between 20°C and 300°C. The specific heat capacity of iron is 450Jkg^-1 K^-1 and the specific heat capacity of water is 4200Jkg^-1 K^-1. The final temperature, Tmix, can be
iSasha

Homework Statement

1. When a car brakes, an amount of thermal energy equal to 112500J is generated in the brake drums. If the mass of the brake drums is 28 kg and their specific heat capacity is 460.5 Jkg^-1K^-1?
  2. A piece of iron of mass 200g and temperature 300°C is dropped into 1.00kg of water of temperature 20°C. What will be the eventual temperature of the water? Specific Heat Capacity of iron is 450Jkg^-1 K^-1, water 4200Jkg^-1 K^-1

Homework Equations

• Q=m c delta t
  • Q=c detla t

The Attempt at a Solution

1. (112500/28)/460.5 = 8.7 °C
  2. (4200+450)/(300+20)=14.53°C
I am 99% sure that I got the first one right, however I don't think the second one is right because no one knew exactly how to do that one from my class. Could you guys steer me in the right direction :) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
re 2 your work is not correct.

use conservation of energy

energy given out by iron = energy gained by water

You have misprinted 1125000 as 112500 in your calculation

@technician Oh, sorry 'bout that.
@grzz Don't I like need to know the final temperature of water to calculate this? If not, which equation should I use?

You do not know the final temp of the water but you do know that the iron and water do end up at the same temp.
write an expression for the heat energy given up by the iron and an equation for the heat energy gained by the water.
These should be equal (ignoring heat losses) and you should find the only unknown quantity is the final temperature... (call it ∅)
This is using conservation of energy

And lastly, whenever you do problems of this nature where two things with differing temperatures are mixed (no chemical reaction of course), the final temperature is ALWAYS somewhere between the temperatures of the two mixing constituents..

What about this?
Q=(4200+450)/((0.2x300)+20)

Which makes it 58.125°C
Is this correct?

Use H = m x C x Δ∅ and put the numbers in for the iron
Then use the same expression with the appropriate numbers for water ...Δ∅ ... is the difficult bit !
Make these equal and see if you can get the final temp...∅

Would it be something around 36°C? I really can't find the change in temperature part in the equation...

Let Tmix be the final temperature of the mixture.

Heat lost by the iron = massiron * specific heat iron * (Tinitial - Tmix)
Heat gained by water = masswater * specific heat water * (Tmix - Twater)

Equate the above and solve for Tmix.

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity, also known as specific heat, is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the heat exchanged between a substance and its surroundings.

What factors affect the specific heat capacity of a substance?

The specific heat capacity of a substance is affected by its mass, temperature, and chemical composition. Substances with a larger mass and higher specific heat tend to require more energy to raise their temperature.

Why is specific heat capacity important?

Specific heat capacity is important because it helps us understand and predict how different substances will respond to changes in temperature. It also plays a crucial role in many industrial and scientific processes, such as in the design of thermal insulation materials.

Is specific heat capacity a constant value for all substances?

No, specific heat capacity varies depending on the substance. Each substance has its own unique specific heat capacity, which can also vary with temperature and pressure.