Specific Heat (kCal and J) for copper, help please

In summary, to find the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a 50 gram cube of copper from 20 degrees Celsius to 45 degrees Celsius, we can use the equation H = mcΔT, where m is the mass of the copper (0.05 kg), c is the specific heat of copper (385 J/kg x degrees Celsius), and ΔT is the change in temperature (25 degrees Celsius). After substituting these values and performing the calculation, we find that the amount of heat required is 481.25 Joules.
strayaway

Homework Statement

How much heat is required to raise the temperature of a 50 gram cube of copper from 20 degrees Celsius to 45 degrees Celsius? (in kcal and J)
Specific Heat(20degrees Celsius) for Copper (kcal/kg x degrees Celsius) is 0.092. and the Specific Heat for Copper (J/kg x degrees Celsius) is 385.

Homework Equations

H = mc (triangle) T

The Attempt at a Solution

so the first thing I did was convert the 50 grams to 0.05 kg, then I set up the equation by putting "H = 0.05kg x 20degrees x 25 degrees. but then that's where i got stuck because I didn't know how to incorporate the specific heat into this.

Physics news on Phys.org
strayaway said:

Homework Statement

How much heat is required to raise the temperature of a 50 gram cube of copper from 20 degrees Celsius to 45 degrees Celsius? (in kcal and J)
Specific Heat(20degrees Celsius) for Copper (kcal/kg x degrees Celsius) is 0.092. and the Specific Heat for Copper (J/kg x degrees Celsius) is 385.

Homework Equations

H = mc (triangle) T

The Attempt at a Solution

so the first thing I did was convert the 50 grams to 0.05 kg, then I set up the equation by putting "H = 0.05kg x 20degrees x 25 degrees. but then that's where i got stuck because I didn't know how to incorporate the specific heat into this.

I highlighted a couple of items in your post; the thing you wanted to calculate.

You know m - you even converted it to kg; good.
You know C [you were given its value in 2 unit systems, I would be using the SI unit value to find Joules.
You know delta T [20 to 45 equals a change of ...]

Substitute and calculate.

Related to Specific Heat (kCal and J) for copper, help please

What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius.

What is the specific heat of copper?

The specific heat of copper is 0.385 kCal/g°C or 385 J/g°C.

Why is specific heat important?

Specific heat is important in understanding how much energy is needed to heat or cool a substance, and in calculating heat transfer in various processes such as cooking, industrial processes, and climate change.

How is specific heat measured?

Specific heat is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is an instrument that measures the change in temperature of a substance when heat is applied.

What factors can affect the specific heat of copper?

The specific heat of copper can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities in the copper. It can also vary slightly depending on the isotopic composition of the copper sample.