Speed-time graph What is the highest speed?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the interval of time in which a car has the highest speed, based on a graph showing negative and positive values of velocity. It is clarified that speed and velocity are not the same and that the highest speed is determined by the absolute value of the velocity, regardless of whether it is positive or negative. The use of language and its impact on understanding is also discussed.
alingy1

Homework Statement

The problem is telling to write the interval of time in which a car has the highest speed.
We see in a graph (time-speed) negative and positive values.

Homework Equations

Definition of speed.
Logic.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I wonder whether they are asking the absolute value of speed, or the highest postive one. It's a semantics matter. What are your two cents? I feel like we want to know, in our system of reference, the highest speed, so the biggest positive one? But, I'm still in Grade 11 and this is my first Physics class...

Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:

Homework Statement

The problem is telling to write the interval of time in which a car has the highest speed.
We see in a graph (time-speed) negative and positive values.

Homework Equations

Definition of speed.
Logic.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I wonder whether they are asking the absolute value of speed, or the highest postive one. It's a semantics matter. What are your two cents? I feel like we want to know, in our system of reference, the highest speed, so the biggest positive one? But, I'm still in Grade 11 and this is my first Physics class...

If you have really been given a speed - time graph showing negative speed, then the graph is incorrect.
It would have to be a velocity-time graph to have negative values.
The descriptors positive and negative do not apply to speed - that's why you don't see any negative values on the speedometer of a car.

Sorry, in French, « vitesse » actually means « velocity » and is sometimes wrongly translated to « speed ». So, I should have said velocity, which can have negative values.

alingy1 said:
Sorry, in French, « vitesse » actually means « velocity » and is sometimes wrongly translated to « speed ». So, I should have said velocity, which can have negative values.

OK imagine you are replicating your velocity-time graph in a car using 1st gear and reverse gear (1st for positive, reverse for negative)
When will your speed have been the highest? Were you in 1st gear or reverse gear at the time? I know which one will have been most frightening!

Well, if we are faster in reverse, the ''velocity'' would be higher. So, you're telling me we should consider the absolute value?

alingy1 said:
Well, if we are faster in reverse, the ''velocity'' would be higher. So, you're telling me we should consider the absolute value?

Interesting concept.

Just as positive and negative do not relate to speed, higher and lower do not relate to velocity.
Per chance, un probleme de la langue?

Velocity can be positive or negative, its value can be large or small.
Speed can be high/low - leading to you traveling fast or slow.

Speed is certainly the absolute value of velocity.

You're right, language problem hihi. Then, I recapitulate. What's the largest velocity? The one with the highest absolute value!

alingy1 said:
You're right, language problem hihi. Then, I recapitulate. What's the largest velocity? The one with the highest absolute value!

Toujours la lange.

The highest speed is when the velocity has the greatest value - whether that be positive or negative.

That is also the largest velocity. Largest implies greatest in size, which is what "converts" velocity to speed.

"La vitesse le plus grand" means the largest absolute value of the velocity - or in English simply "the highest speed". [did I mix genders there?]

Perfect haha. It's "la" because vitesse is feminine!

alingy1 said:
Perfect haha. It's "la" because vitesse is feminine!

I know it is la vitesse, but can you have "la vitesse" and then "le plus grand" ?

Oh no! La plus grande vitesse or la vitesse la plus grande. "La" always refers to vitesse. Hehe learning French in physics forum :)

Related to Speed-time graph What is the highest speed?

1. What is a speed-time graph?

A speed-time graph is a visual representation of the relationship between an object's speed and time. The speed is usually plotted on the y-axis and time on the x-axis.

2. How do you interpret a speed-time graph?

The slope of a speed-time graph represents the acceleration of an object. If the slope is positive, the object is accelerating, and if the slope is negative, the object is decelerating. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration. The area under the graph represents the distance traveled by the object.

3. What is the highest speed on a speed-time graph?

The highest speed on a speed-time graph is represented by the highest point on the graph or the peak of a curve. This indicates the maximum speed that the object has reached during the given time interval.

4. How can you determine the average speed from a speed-time graph?

The average speed can be determined by finding the slope of the line connecting two points on the graph. The formula for average speed is distance/time. Therefore, the slope of the line will give the average speed for that particular time interval.

5. Can the speed-time graph show a negative speed?

Yes, the speed-time graph can show a negative speed. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction or decelerating. The slope of the graph will be negative in this case.