Sphere and electric field of infinite plate

In summary: I wanted to ask just in case.They are SI units so ##C/m^2##...although the units are irrelevant to my actual question, I wanted to ask just in case.
annamal
Homework Statement
Shown below is a small sphere of mass 0.25 g that carries a charge of ##9*10^{-10}##. The sphere is attached to one end of a very thin silk string 5.0 cm long. The other end of the string is attached to a large vertical conducting plate that has a charge density of ##30*10^{-6}##. What is the angle that the string makes with the vertical?
Relevant Equations
##\vec E = \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon}##
The solution says that the tension in the string in the negative x direction is balanced by the force of the plate on the ball (red). Why is the repulsive force of the ball on the plate (in blue) not included in this calculation?

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 9.43.33 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem requires us to find a position of the ball where the net sum of forces on it from plate, gravity and string is zero, so that the ball remains stationary. We call this a problem in 'statics', as opposed to a problem in 'kinetics' or 'dynamics' that involves motion.
To solve the problem we need only consider forces exerted on the ball, not forces that the ball exerts on other things.

Likes Delta2 and PhDeezNutz
andrewkirk said:
The problem requires us to find a position of the ball where the net sum of forces on it from plate, gravity and string is zero, so that the ball remains stationary. We call this a problem in 'statics', as opposed to a problem in 'kinetics' or 'dynamics' that involves motion.
To solve the problem we need only consider forces exerted on the ball, not forces that the ball exerts on other things.
Would the force the ball exerts on the plate equal the force the plate exerts on the ball: ##q* \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon}##?

annamal said:
Would the force the ball exerts on the plate equal the force the plate exerts on the ball: ##q* \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon}##?
What did Newton say?

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
What did Newton say?
Equal and opposite, so I am guessing yes. So on the system of just the plate and the ball, there should be no net force since the electrical forces are equal and opposite?

annamal said:
Equal and opposite, so I am guessing yes. So on the system of just the plate and the ball, there should be no net force since the electrical forces are equal and opposite?
Yes.

Likes Delta2
Is this problem assuming the conducting plate is fixed? Because if it isn't, wouldn't it fly to the left due to the force from the ball?

annamal said:
Is this problem assuming the conducting plate is fixed? Because if it isn't, wouldn't it fly to the left due to the force from the ball?
Yes. For me at least this is self implied, it is like doing a mechanics problem that involves (normal) forces from the ground and asking if the ground is fixed.

annamal said:
No, because just as the horizontal forces balance on the ball they also balance on the plate. But of course some torque must stop the plate/ball system falling over.

haruspex said:
No, because just as the horizontal forces balance on the ball they also balance on the plate. But of course some torque must stop the plate/ball system falling over.
What are the horizontal forces that balance the plate? There is the force the ball exerts on the plate. There is no mention of a force countering that.

Likes Delta2
annamal said:
What are the horizontal forces that balance the plate? There is the force the ball exerts on the plate. There is no mention of a force countering that.
I think it must be a component of the force from the string to the plate.

Delta2 said:
I think it must be a component of the force from the string to the plate.
I thought that only holds the ball in place.

annamal said:
I thought that only holds the ball in place.
The string is under tension, so it pulls on whatever it is attached to at its two ends equally.

To @annamal : Could you provide units for the charge on the sphere and the charge density?

I also have a question of interpretation. We have here a conducting plate "that has a charge density of ##30*10^-6##. Missing units notwithstanding, when the charged sphere is not in position, the charges can be assumed to be equally distributed on the left and right surfaces as shown in the figure. Is the number given the surface charge density on one of the surfaces or on each of the surfaces?

kuruman said:
To @annamal : Could you provide units for the charge on the sphere and the charge density?

I also have a question of interpretation. We have here a conducting plate "that has a charge density of ##30*10^-6##. Missing units notwithstanding, when the charged sphere is not in position, the charges can be assumed to be equally distributed on the left and right surfaces as shown in the figure. Is the number given the surface charge density on one of the surfaces or on each of the surfaces?
They are SI units so ##C/m^2##...although the units are irrelevant to my actual question

What is a sphere and electric field of infinite plate?

A sphere and electric field of infinite plate is a concept in physics that describes the behavior of electric fields around an infinite, flat plate. It is often used as a simplified model for understanding the behavior of electric fields in more complex systems.

How is the electric field of an infinite plate calculated?

The electric field of an infinite plate can be calculated using the following equation: E = σ/2ε0, where E is the electric field strength, σ is the surface charge density of the plate, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space. This equation assumes that the plate is infinitely large and has a uniform charge distribution.

What is the direction of the electric field around an infinite plate?

The electric field around an infinite plate is perpendicular to the surface of the plate, pointing away from the positively charged side and towards the negatively charged side. This direction is consistent with the direction of the electric field lines, which always point from positive to negative charges.

How does the electric field of an infinite plate change with distance?

The electric field of an infinite plate does not change with distance from the plate. It remains constant regardless of the distance from the plate, as long as the distance is not so large that the plate can no longer be considered infinite. This is because the electric field is uniform and does not depend on the distance from the plate.

Can an infinite plate have a net charge?

No, an infinite plate cannot have a net charge. This is because an infinite plate would require an infinite amount of charge to have a net charge, which is not physically possible. However, an infinite plate can have a non-zero surface charge density, which is the amount of charge per unit area on the plate.