Spherical coordinates, vector field and dot product

In summary, the two vector fields A and B are parallel if their dot product equals 1, and perpendicular if their dot product equals 0. The angle between the two fields is not necessarily the same as the angle used in the equations for the fields. Using the dot product formula, one can solve for the angle between the fields when the dot product is known.
Rombus

Homework Statement

Show that the vector fields A = ar(sin2θ)/r2+2aθ(sinθ)/r2 and B = rcosθar+raθ are everywhere parallel to each other.

Homework Equations

[itex]\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B} = |\mathbf{A}||\mathbf{B}|\cos(0)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, if the dot product equals 1. They should be parallel correct?

A={sin(2θ)/(r2),2(sin(θ)/r2),0}
B={rcos(θ),r,0}

if this is the dot product how do I determine the angle between the vectors?
(2 Sin(θ))/r + (Cos(θ) Sin(2 θ))/r

Do i need to transform to rectangular coordinates?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rombus said:
|A||B|=ABcosθ

You'll want to double check this equation :wink:
So, if the dot product equals 1. They should be parallel correct?

Careful, [itex]\mathbf{i}+2\mathbf{j}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{i}[/itex] are not parallel, but their dot product is 1. Likewise, [itex]\mathbf{i}+\mathbf{j}[/itex] and [itex]2\mathbf{i}+2\mathbf{j}[/itex] are parallel but their dot product is not equal to 1.

If 2 vector fields are parallel, what can you say about the angle between them at every point? What does the dot product formula then tell you?

Hello, thanks for the reply. I blame lack of sleep on my dot product equation mishap. :zzz:

So, the angle between the vector fields is 90 degrees and the dot product would be 0 correct?

Rombus said:
Hello, thanks for the reply. I blame lack of sleep on my dot product equation mishap.

So, the angle between the vector fields is 90 degrees and the dot product would be 0 correct?

:zzz: a 15 minute nap can sometimes do a world of good for one's studies :wink:

If the angle between two vector fields is 90 degrees, then they are perpendicular, not parallel:wink:

of course! Okay, so the angle is zero or 180. So upon finding the dot product how would I determine the angle between these two fields from the result of this dot product? (2 Sin(θ))/r + (Cos(θ) Sin(2 θ))/r

Do I just plug in zero for theta?

Rombus said:
of course! Okay, so the angle is zero or 180.

Wouldn't 180 degrees mean the vector fields were anti-parallel?:wink:

So upon finding the dot product how would I determine the angle between these two fields from the result of this dot product? (2 Sin(θ))/r + (Cos(θ) Sin(2 θ))/r

Do I just plug in zero for theta?

No, the θ in the equations for your 2 vector fields is either the polar angle (the angle between the position vector and the polar axis) in spherical coordinates, or the azimuthal angle (the angle between the projection of the position vector onto the xy-plane, and the x-axis), depending on which naming convention you are using for spherical coordinates.

That θ is, in general, not the same as the angle between the two vector fields.

If the angle between the two vector fields is 0, then the (correct) dot product equation tells you [itex]\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B} = |\mathbf{A}||\mathbf{B}|\cos(0)[/itex]

Related to Spherical coordinates, vector field and dot product

What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a coordinate system used to describe the position of a point in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radial distance from the origin, an angle in the horizontal plane (azimuth), and an angle in the vertical plane (elevation).

How are spherical coordinates related to Cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates can be converted to Cartesian coordinates using equations that involve trigonometric functions. The radial distance corresponds to the z-coordinate, the azimuth angle corresponds to the x-coordinate, and the elevation angle corresponds to the y-coordinate.

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to each point in a given space. It can represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, or electric field strength.

How do you visualize a vector field?

A vector field can be visualized by plotting arrows at various points in the space, with the direction and length of each arrow representing the direction and magnitude of the vector at that point.

What is the dot product?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and outputs a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the vectors and then adding the results. It is used to determine the angle between two vectors and to calculate work done by a force on an object.