Spherical Mirror and Object Distance

In summary, the spherical mirror is concave, the object is in front of the mirror, and its distance is positive.
Skye77
If a spherical mirror has a radius of curvature of .24 m and and object is placed in front of it and magnified to twice its size: is the mirror concave, convex, or either? And what is the object's distance?

I determined that the mirror was concave, because the question said that the image was twice the object's size and convex mirrors decrease image size. Is this correct?

I'm having trouble finding the object's distance too. I know that M = - di/do. And M will either = 2 or -2 because the image could be real or virtual.

From the question I got that R = .24 and since F = R/2, F = .12
Then, using the equation 1/do + 1/di = 1/F, I rearranged to get
do + di = F and since F = .12,
do = .12 - di

I solved for di using M = - di/do with M = 2, so
2 = - di/do rearraged to,
di = - 2do

Plugging this to the spherical-mirror equation gave me: do = .12 - (- 2do)

Solving gives: do = - .12 m

Is this correct? Am I going about this the right way, or am I way off base? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Skye77 said:
If a spherical mirror has a radius of curvature of .24 m and and object is placed in front of it and magnified to twice its size: is the mirror concave, convex, or either? And what is the object's distance?

I determined that the mirror was concave, because the question said that the image was twice the object's size and convex mirrors decrease image size. Is this correct?

Yes.

I'm having trouble finding the object's distance too. I know that M = - di/do. And M will either = 2 or -2 because the image could be real or virtual.

From the question I got that R = .24 and since F = R/2, F = .12
Then, using the equation 1/do + 1/di = 1/F, I rearranged to get
do + di = F

This is wrong. Try again.

Solving gives: do = - .12 m

The object is in front of the mirror, its distance should be positive. But you are quite near to the right way :cool:.

ehild

So then am I only off because of the negative sign? So the answer would be .12 m

Skye77 said:
So then am I only off because of the negative sign? So the answer would be .12 m

No, you made a mistake saying that di +do =F.

ehild

I got that equation from my book and I've tried rearranging it several times and I still get the same answer. What am I missing?

1/do + 1/di = 1/F

M= - di/do and since M = -2 I get di = 2do

Then I plug that into the equation and still get .12

:(

di=M*do

1/do+1/(Mdo) =1/F

factor out do:

(1/do)*(1+1/M)=1/F

do=F*(1+1/M)

M is either 2 or -2., F=0.12 m.

Plug in.

ehild

Thanks for all the help. I just realized when I was doing my math I was making the same bone-head mistake over and over again.

Must get more sleep to avoid stupid mistakes!

Related to Spherical Mirror and Object Distance

1. What is a spherical mirror?

A spherical mirror is a reflective surface that has a curved shape, resembling a portion of a sphere. It can either be convex or concave in shape.

2. What is object distance in relation to a spherical mirror?

Object distance refers to the distance between the object and the mirror. It is measured from the tip of the object to the surface of the mirror.

3. How does the object distance affect the image formed by a spherical mirror?

The object distance determines the size and position of the image formed by a spherical mirror. As the object distance increases, the image size decreases and gets closer to the mirror. Conversely, a smaller object distance results in a larger, more distant image.

4. What is the relationship between object distance and focal length of a spherical mirror?

The object distance and focal length of a spherical mirror have an inverse relationship. This means that as the object distance increases, the focal length decreases, and vice versa.

5. How can I calculate the image distance of a spherical mirror given the object distance and focal length?

The image distance can be calculated using the formula: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance. By rearranging the formula, we can solve for di: di = (do * f) / (do - f).