Spherically symmetric potential and spherical harmonics

In summary, when solving the time-independent Schrodinger equation for a spherically symmetric potential, using the separation of variables, we find solutions of the form \psi = R(r)Y_l^m(\theta ,\phi) where the Y_l^m are the spherical harmonics. However, when considering quantum scattering, the wave function cannot depend on \phi due to the assumed spherical symmetry of the potential. This is why the author assumes m=0 in this case. The states with different m values are degenerate and choosing m=0 makes the angular part of the wave function purely real. In the case of a free Hydrogen atom, the electronic wave function does not depend on \phi, but in the presence of
msumm21
When solving the time-independent Schrodinger equation for a spherically symmetric potential, using the separation of variables, we find that solutions of the form [tex]\psi =R(r)Y_l^m(\theta ,\phi)[/tex] where the [tex]Y_l^m[/tex] are the spherical harmonics. We apply this to the (idealized) electron in a Hydrogen atom and of course allow m to take on any integer value from [tex]-l[/tex] to [tex]+l[/tex]. However, I'm reading "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, 2nd Ed" by Griffths and when he covers quantum scattering (by a spherically symmetric potential) he says "since we are assuming the potential is spherically symmetric, the wave function cannot depend on [tex]\phi[/tex]" (bottom of page 401). Afterwards he always assumes [tex]m=0[/tex]. I assume this is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
WHAT is wrong?

if the pot is spherical sym, then the wave fcn is indep of phi, hence m = 0.

msumm21 said:
When solving the time-independent Schrodinger equation for a spherically symmetric potential, using the separation of variables, we find that solutions of the form [tex]\psi =R(r)Y_l^m(\theta ,\phi)[/tex] where the [tex]Y_l^m[/tex] are the spherical harmonics. We apply this to the (idealized) electron in a Hydrogen atom and of course allow m to take on any integer value from [tex]-l[/tex] to [tex]+l[/tex]. However, I'm reading "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, 2nd Ed" by Griffths and when he covers quantum scattering (by a spherically symmetric potential) he says "since we are assuming the potential is spherically symmetric, the wave function cannot depend on [tex]\phi[/tex]" (bottom of page 401). Afterwards he always assumes [tex]m=0[/tex]. I assume this is wrong?

No, it is not "wrong", why do you think it is? If a potential is spherically symmetric, then all of the m-states for a given value of l are degenerate. So therefore one is free to choose a mathematically convenient value of m .. m=0 is particularly nice, since the angular part of the wavefunctions then becomes purely real.

ansgar: the [tex]Y_l^m[/tex] with [tex]m\neq 0[/tex] are solutions to the Schrodinger equation for a spherically symmetric potential, in fact that's exactly the way they get introduced in Griffths. The (idealized) electron in the H atom is in a spherically symmetric potential right, but we don't say that [tex]m=0[/tex] there right?

SpectraCat: When you say degenerate here do you mean with repect to energy (same energy)? I realize the states with different [tex]m[/tex] have the same energy (and even the states with different [tex]l[/tex] also have the same energy). But I don't see how that implies that "the wave function cannot depend on [tex]\phi[/tex]." If the latter is true, how can H atom wave functions depend on [tex]\phi[/tex]?

msumm21 said:
ansgar: the [tex]Y_l^m[/tex] with [tex]m\neq 0[/tex] are solutions to the Schrodinger equation for a spherically symmetric potential, in fact that's exactly the way they get introduced in Griffths. The (idealized) electron in the H atom is in a spherically symmetric potential right, but we don't say that [tex]m=0[/tex] there right?

SpectraCat: When you say degenerate here do you mean with repect to energy (same energy)? I realize the states with different [tex]m[/tex] have the same energy (and even the states with different [tex]l[/tex] also have the same energy). But I don't see how that implies that "the wave function cannot depend on [tex]\phi[/tex]." If the latter is true, how can H atom wave functions depend on [tex]\phi[/tex]?

Well, I guess I see your point. However, I am certain that the response I gave in my earlier post captures the correct aspects of the physics and mathematics of scattering off a spherical potential. I think the answer to your question above is, for a free H atom in the absence of any external potentials, the electronic wave functions really *don't* depend on phi. It is not until the spherical symmetry (EDIT: actually, even cylindrical symmetry is enough to enforce phi-independence) is broken that the phi-dependence becomes measurable, therefore it is physically consistent to say that it doesn't exist in the absence of such symmetry breaking. The spherical harmonics (and for that matter the Hamiltonian) are mathematical constructions that have been used to develop an abstraction so that we can better understand the physics of the H-atom, but they are not the *only* such construction that is possible.

Note that the situation is different for the theta-dependence of the wavefunctions. Even in the absence of an external field, angular momentum must be conserved in a spectroscopic transition (the emitted/absorbed photon carries one unit of angular momentum that must be accounted for), therefore we have experimental evidence that there must be some angular dependence to the H-atom wavefunctions, even though the energy eigenvalues show no dependence on the l-quantum number.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and insights SpectraCat. I think I understand what you are saying, but I'll think some more. One problem I have that is somewhat related is that Griffths was initially talking about the particle coming in with an impact parameter b (i.e. not necessarily aimed at the "center" of the scattering potential, which seems like it would not give the symmetry you described, but then Griffths later said the "incoming wave function" was just e^ikz which doesn't have [tex]\phi[/tex] (or b) dependence and gives extra symmetry (not sure what happened to b though).

Related to Spherically symmetric potential and spherical harmonics

1. What is a spherically symmetric potential?

A spherically symmetric potential is a type of potential energy that is the same at all points on a sphere. This means that the potential energy depends only on the distance from the center of the sphere and not on the direction or orientation.

2. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions that describe the variations in a spherically symmetric system. They are often used in quantum mechanics to represent the energy states of an electron in an atom or molecule.

3. How are spherically symmetric potentials and spherical harmonics related?

Spherically symmetric potentials are often described using spherical harmonics because they provide a convenient mathematical framework for understanding the potential energy distribution. The spherical harmonics are used to represent the different energy levels in the spherically symmetric potential.

4. What is the significance of spherical harmonics in physics?

Spherical harmonics have many applications in physics, including in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid mechanics. They are also useful for solving mathematical problems involving spherical symmetry, such as finding the potential energy of a charge distribution on a spherical surface.

5. How do spherically symmetric potentials and spherical harmonics play a role in understanding atomic and molecular structures?

In quantum mechanics, the energy levels of electrons in atoms and molecules are described using spherical harmonics, which are related to the spherically symmetric potential created by the nucleus and other charges. This allows us to understand the arrangement of electrons in an atom or molecule and how they interact with each other.