How Can the Well-Ordering Principle Prove Mathematical Induction?

• Thread starter Jef123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spivak
In summary: But if ##B## is empty, then we have proven that all natural numbers are in ##A##, and thus ##A## must be the set of all natural numbers. So we have proven that if ##A## contains ##1## and contains ##n## whenever it contains ##n+1##, then ##A##=##\mathbb{N}##, which is exactly what we needed for the proof by induction. In summary, the conversation discusses the principle of mathematical induction and how it can be proven from the well ordering principle. The conversation also touches on tips for improving at proofs and constructing specific proofs. The key steps in the proof include assuming a set A that contains 1 and n whenever it contains n+1
Jef123
1. Prove the principle of mathematical induction from the well ordering principle.

I didn't get very far, but here's my attempt at it...

Let A be a set that contains 1 and contains n whenever it contains n+1. Now, let there be a non empty set B that contains all natural numbers not in A. By the well-ordering theorem, B must contain a least element m. m≠1...

Aside from hints to head me in the right direction, any tips on how to improve at proofs or just the way to go about thinking about questions to prove would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jef123 said:
1. Prove the principle of mathematical induction from the well ordering principle.

I didn't get very far, but here's my attempt at it...

Let A be a set that contains 1 and contains n whenever it contains n+1. Now, let there be a non empty set B that contains all natural numbers not in A. By the well-ordering theorem, B must contain a least element m. m≠1...

Good. You're almost there. So ##m\neq 1##. This means that ##m-1## is also a natural number. Is ##m-1## in ##A## or in ##B##. What can you conclude?

Aside from hints to head me in the right direction, any tips on how to improve at proofs or just the way to go about thinking about questions to prove would be helpful.

This would be more suited in the academic guidance forum. But there is no easy answer. The best answer is to do a lot of proofs, you'll get the hang of it eventually. There are proof books, but they won't help constructing specific proofs.

Okay, so I think m−1 is in A? Is it because m is the least element in B, thus m-1 must be in A? If that be the case, then A = (m-1) +1 = m. This is a contradiction because m is in B.

I'm not sure if the proof is done yet. If it is done, how does this prove induction? And thank you for your help!

Jef123 said:
Okay, so I think m−1 is in A? Is it because m is the least element in B, thus m-1 must be in A? If that be the case, then A = (m-1) +1 = m.

What do you mean with ##A = m##? How can a set ##A## equal a natural number ##m##?

If it is done, how does this prove induction?

That's still left to prove of course. The theorem of induction says that if ##P(m)## is a property about the natural number ##m## and if

• ##P(1)## is true.
  • If ##P(n)## is true, then ##P(n+1)## is true.

Then we can conclude that ##P(n)## is true for all ##n## in ##\mathbb{N}##.

So we need to start by assuming that ##P(m)## is a property that satisfies the two points above. We then need to prove that ##P(n)## is true for all ##n\in \mathbb{N}##. To do this, set

[tex]A = \{n\in \mathbb{N}~\vert~ P(n)~\text{is true}\}[/tex]

So ##A## is the set of all numbers ##n## such that ##P(n)## is true. Now show that ##1\in A## and that if ##n\in A## then ##n+1\in A##.

Sorry, i meant that since m-1 is an element of A and since n+1 is an element, then (m-1)+1 is an element of A as well, but this a contradiction because (m-1)+1 = m which is already an element of B.

Jef123 said:
Sorry, i meant that since m-1 is an element of A and since n+1 is an element, then (m-1)+1 is an element of A as well, but this a contradiction because (m-1)+1 = m which is already an element of B.

Then that is exactly right! So you have now correctly proven that if ##A## is a set that contains ##1## and such that ##n+1\in A## whenever ##n\in A##, then ##A=\mathbb{N}##.

Can you now see the link to the theorem of induction?

I think I am not seeing something here. So the contradiction is stating that m is in A or B? If its in A then I understand... If not, then i am confused.

Jef123 said:
I think I am not seeing something here. So the contradiction is stating that m is in A or B? If its in A then I understand... If not, then i am confused.

You took ##m## by definition to be the least element of ##B##. So ##m## is by definition in ##B##.

But then you have proven that since ##m-1## is in ##A##, that by the definition of ##A##, we must have ##m=(m-1)+1## to be in ##A##. So we have proven that ##m## is in ##A##.

So it follows that ##m## is in both ##A## and ##B##, which is a contradiction.
The resolution to this contradiction is that we assumed ##B## to be nonempty. So we have proven that if ##B## is nonempty, then there is a contradiction. So ##B## must be empty.

Likes 1 person

Related to How Can the Well-Ordering Principle Prove Mathematical Induction?

1. What is the purpose of Spivak Chapter 2 problem 10?

The purpose of Spivak Chapter 2 problem 10 is to test your understanding of the concept of continuity and its implications for different types of functions.

2. What is the difficulty level of Spivak Chapter 2 problem 10?

The difficulty level of Spivak Chapter 2 problem 10 varies depending on individual understanding and knowledge of calculus. However, it is generally considered to be a medium difficulty problem.

3. How can I approach solving Spivak Chapter 2 problem 10?

One approach to solving Spivak Chapter 2 problem 10 is to carefully read and understand the definition of continuity, and then apply it to the given function to determine whether it is continuous at a specific point or on a specific interval.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving Spivak Chapter 2 problem 10?

One tip for solving Spivak Chapter 2 problem 10 is to draw a graph of the given function and visually analyze its behavior at the point or interval in question. This can provide insights and guide your approach to solving the problem.

5. How can I check if my solution to Spivak Chapter 2 problem 10 is correct?

You can check your solution to Spivak Chapter 2 problem 10 by plugging the values into the definition of continuity and evaluating if it holds true. You can also compare your solution to the answer provided in the back of the textbook or consult with your teacher or peers.