Splitting Fields: Anderson and Feil, Theorem 45.4 ....

In summary: Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra states that f is a factor of both f' and g. If we use term-by-term differentiation, it is clear that f' is in F[x].
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 45: The Splitting Field ... ...

I need some help with some aspects of the proof of Theorem 45.4 ...

Theorem 45.4 and its proof read as follows:
?temp_hash=979d95a5224d19aff491ca54c9b89ab9.png

My questions on the above proof are as follows:Question 1In the above text from Anderson and Feil we read the following:"... ... This means that ##f = ( x - \alpha)^k g##, where ##k## is an integer greater than ##1## and ##g## is a polynomial over ##K## ... ... Since ##f## is in ##F[x]## ... that is ##f## is over ##F## ... shouldn't ##g## be over ##F## not ##K##?

(I am assuming that ##f## being "over ##F##" means the coefficients of ##f## are in ##F## ... )

Question 2In the above text from Anderson and Feil we read the following:"... ... We then have that ##x - \alpha## is a factor of both ##f## and ##f'##. But if we use term-by-term differentiation instead, it is clear that ##f'\in F[x]##. ... ... "What do Anderson and Feil mean by term-by-term differentiation in this context ... ... and if they do use term-by-term differentiation (what ever they mean) how does this show that ##f'\in F[x]## ... ... ?
Hope someone can help ...

Help will be much appreciated ... ...

Peter

Attachments

• A&W _ Theorem 45.4 ... ... .png
    A&W _ Theorem 45.4 ... ... .png
    52.7 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
If ##\alpha\in K-F## then ##g## will not necessarily be in ##F## as its coefficients will be functions of ##\alpha##.

Consider ##F=\mathbb R,\ K=\mathbb C## and ##f(x)=(x^2+1)^2=(x-i)^2(x+i)^2##, which has roots ##i## and ##-i##, both of multiplicity 2. Taking ##\alpha=i## we get ##g(x)=(x+i)^2##, which is not in ##\mathbb R[x]##.

Likes Math Amateur
Math Amateur said:
"... ... We then have that ##x - \alpha## is a factor of both ##f## and ##f'##. But if we use term-by-term differentiation instead, it is clear that ##f'\in F[x]##. ... ... "
I was going off to have dinner, thinking I didn't have time to work out the second one. Then I realized it's actually the easier of the two.

By 'term-by-term' they mean writing the polynomial in expanded, unfactorised form as ##f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^n c_kx^k## and then differentiating to get ##f'(x)=\sum_{k=1}^n kc_kx^{k-1}##. The coefficients are of the form ##kc_k## which, since ##k## is in ##\mathbb N## rather than ##F##, means ##\sum_{j=1}^k c_k##, which must be in ##F## since ##c_k## is. Hence ##f'\in F[x]##.

Likes Math Amateur and Greg Bernhardt
andrewkirk said:
If ##\alpha\in K-F## then ##g## will not necessarily be in ##F## as its coefficients will be functions of ##\alpha##.

Consider ##F=\mathbb R,\ K=\mathbb C## and ##f(x)=(x^2+1)^2=(x-i)^2(x+i)^2##, which has roots ##i## and ##-i##, both of multiplicity 2. Taking ##\alpha=i## we get ##g(x)=(x+i)^2##, which is not in ##\mathbb R[x]##.
Thanks Andrew ... good example ... makes it pretty clear ...

Peter

Likes Greg Bernhardt

What is the significance of Splitting Fields?

Splitting Fields are an important concept in abstract algebra that allow us to better understand how polynomials behave and can help us solve equations. They also have applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory.

Who are Anderson and Feil?

Anderson and Feil are two mathematicians who published a paper titled "The splitting fields of polynomials" in 1954. Their theorem, known as Theorem 45.4, is a fundamental result in the study of splitting fields.

What does Theorem 45.4 state?

Theorem 45.4, also known as the Anderson and Feil theorem, states that every polynomial has a splitting field. This means that for any given polynomial, there exists a field in which the polynomial can be factored into linear factors.

How do Splitting Fields relate to Galois Theory?

Splitting Fields are closely related to Galois Theory, which is a branch of abstract algebra that studies symmetries of equations. In fact, Galois Theory can be used to prove the existence and uniqueness of splitting fields for certain types of polynomials.

Can Splitting Fields be computed?

Yes, splitting fields can be computed using various techniques such as factoring, root extraction, and field extensions. However, for certain polynomials, the splitting field may be a very large or complex field, making it difficult to compute in practice.