Splitting Fields: Anderson and Feil, Theorem 45.6 ....

In summary: Theorem 45.5 are satisfied. The conditions of Theorem 45.5 are satisfied if and only if K is an algebraic extension over F.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 45: The Splitting Field ... ...

I need some help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 45.6 ...

Theorem 45.6 and its proof read as follows:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6701At the start of the proof of Theorem 45.6 we read the following:

"Suppose that \(\displaystyle K\) is a normal extension of \(\displaystyle F\), a field with characteristic zero. Then by Theorem 45.5, \(\displaystyle K = F( \alpha )\), where \(\displaystyle \alpha\) is algebraic over \(\displaystyle F\). ... .. "
Can someone please explain exactly how \(\displaystyle K = F( \alpha )\) follows in the above statement ... ?The quote mentions Anderson and Feil's Theorem 45.5 and also mentions that \(\displaystyle K\) is a normal extension so I am providing the statement of Theorem 45.5 and Anderson and Feil's definition of a normal extension as follows ... ...

View attachment 6702

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6703

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 45: The Splitting Field ... ...

I need some help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 45.6 ...

Theorem 45.6 and its proof read as follows:

At the start of the proof of Theorem 45.6 we read the following:

"Suppose that \(\displaystyle K\) is a normal extension of \(\displaystyle F\), a field with characteristic zero. Then by Theorem 45.5, \(\displaystyle K = F( \alpha )\), where \(\displaystyle \alpha\) is algebraic over \(\displaystyle F\). ... .. "
Can someone please explain exactly how \(\displaystyle K = F( \alpha )\) follows in the above statement ... ?The quote mentions Anderson and Feil's Theorem 45.5 and also mentions that \(\displaystyle K\) is a normal extension so I am providing the statement of Theorem 45.5 and Anderson and Feil's definition of a normal extension as follows ... ...
I am answering my own question aincve I have now noticed that regarding my question on the first semtence of the proof of Theorem 45.6 ... the conditions to apply Theorem 45.5 were actually satisfied ...BUT ... in the way of explanation of the source of my question ... ... I was myopically focused on the first sentence of the proof where we are given(i) \(\displaystyle K\) is a normal extension of \(\displaystyle F\)
(ii) \(\displaystyle F \) is a field with characteristic zero and was wondering about how to get from this to the initial conditions of Theorem 45.5 that(i) \(\displaystyle F\) is a field with characteristic zero
(ii) \(\displaystyle K\) was a finite algebraic extension of \(\displaystyle F\)

BUT ... in my tunnel vision I neglected that \(\displaystyle K\) was given as a finite extension ... sorry for such a simple oversight ...

... HOWEVER ... still concerned that we need to establish that \(\displaystyle K\) is algebraic over \(\displaystyle F\) ... that is all elements of \(\displaystyle K\) are algebraic over \(\displaystyle F\) ... before applying Theorem 45..5 ...Peter

What is a splitting field?

A splitting field is a field extension of a given field that contains all the roots of a given polynomial. In other words, it is the smallest field where a polynomial can be completely factored into linear factors.

Who are Anderson and Feil?

Anderson and Feil are two mathematicians who developed theorem 45.6, which is a key theorem in the field of splitting fields. Their work has greatly contributed to the understanding and application of splitting fields in mathematics and other fields.

What is Theorem 45.6?

Theorem 45.6, developed by Anderson and Feil, states that for any polynomial over a field, there exists a splitting field for that polynomial. This theorem is an important tool in understanding and working with splitting fields.

Why are splitting fields important?

Splitting fields are important in mathematics because they allow us to fully factor polynomials, which has applications in many areas of mathematics such as algebra, number theory, and geometry. They also have practical applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory.

How are splitting fields related to Galois theory?

Splitting fields are closely related to Galois theory, which is a branch of abstract algebra that studies field extensions and their symmetries. Galois theory provides a deeper understanding of splitting fields and their properties, and also has applications in various areas of mathematics.