Spring Force and Acceleration with Friction

In summary, the first block starts to move at an acceleration of 1.232 m/s2, while the second block starts to move at an acceleration of 0.616 m/s2.
Adrianw2

Homework Statement

A light spring with force constant 3.85 N/m is compressed by 8.00 cm as it is held between a 0.250-kg block on the left and a 0.500-kg block on the right, both resting on a horizontal surface. The spring exerts a force on each block, tending to push them apart. The blocks are simultaneously released from rest. Find the acceleration with which each block starts to move, given that the coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is (a) 0, (b) 0.100, and (c) 0.462

Homework Equations

Fx = -kx
F = ma
W = the integral of Fxdx from initial to final position
W = FΔR
Ffriction = umg

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my attempt so far, but I don't think it's right.

Since Fx = -kx and F = ma then ma=-kx and -kx/m = a
So for the first block (-3.85N/m)(0.04m)/(0.250kg) = 1.232 m/s2
And for the second block (-3/85N/m)(0.04m)/(0.500kg) = 0.616 m/s2

I chose 0.04 m, because that is the amount the spring is being compressed on each side, maybe I am supposed to use 0.08 m in the equation anyways though.

For the cases with friction I believe I would have to subtract the force of friction in the F = ma and somehow put it in the equations I used in part b and c.

Anyway, I don't even know if I started the question correctly, but any help would be awesome.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Adrianw2 said:

Homework Statement

A light spring with force constant 3.85 N/m is compressed by 8.00 cm as it is held between a 0.250-kg block on the left and a 0.500-kg block on the right, both resting on a horizontal surface. The spring exerts a force on each block, tending to push them apart. The blocks are simultaneously released from rest. Find the acceleration with which each block starts to move, given that the coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is (a) 0, (b) 0.100, and (c) 0.462

Homework Equations

Fx = -kx
F = ma
W = the integral of Fxdx from initial to final position
W = FΔR
Ffriction = umg

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my attempt so far, but I don't think it's right.

So for the first block (-3.85N/m)(0.04m)/(0.250kg) = 1.232 m/s2
And for the second block (-3/85N/m)(0.04m)/(0.500kg) = 0.616 m/s2

I chose 0.04 m, because that is the amount the spring is being compressed on each side, maybe I am supposed to use 0.08 m in the equation anyways though.

For the cases with friction I believe I would have to subtract the force of friction in the F = ma and somehow put it in the equations I used in part b and c.

Anyway, I don't even know if I started the question correctly, but any help would be awesome.

Thanks
Good start, but you used the wrong delta x, and you've got to watch your direction of the acceleration for each block. The spring is compressed 8 cm, and that is the distance you must use in calculating the spring force, which is the same on each block. For part b, yes, use Newton 2 after identifying the value and direction of the spring and friction forces.

So this would be the correct answer for the first part then?

So for the first block (-3.85N/m)(0.08m)/(0.250kg) = -1.232 m/s2
And for the second block (-3.85N/m)(-0.08m)/(0.500kg) = 0.616 m/s2

I had actually calculated both of the accelerations with the 0.08m last time, but I included the proper directions this time.

And for part b would it look something like this?

Fx = -kx and F = ma +/- umg then ma = -kx +/- umg and a = [(-kx)/m] +/- ug
The reason I have +/- umg is because friction is acting in a different direction in both cases
So for the first block [-1.232m/s2] + [(0.100)(9.81m/s2)] = -0.251m/s2
And for the second block [0.616m/s2] - [(0.100)(9.81 m/s2) = -0.365m/s2

I don't think I have the part b right now that I look at it, if somebody could tell me where I went wrong that would help a lot.

Thanks again

I think that for part b and c if you just see for the magnitudes then the following would be right.

[tex] kx - \mu}mg = ma [/tex]

Part a looks good. In part b, the acceleration is not the same as in part a, so don't use it. For the left block, you've fot the spring force acting left and the friction force acting right. Use Newton's law. Careful using the different friction coefficients that are given. In some cases, Newton 1 may apply.

FedEx said:
I think that for part b and c if you just see for the magnitudes then the following would be right.

When I do that I get the same numbers as above and that doesn't make sense, especially with friction because the larger block has a higher acceleration, could you possibly try out your way with the numbers so I can see if I actually understand what you're saying?

PhanthomJay said:
Part a looks good. In part b, the acceleration is not the same as in part a, so don't use it. For the left block, you've fot the spring force acting left and the friction force acting right. Use Newton's law. Careful using the different friction coefficients that are given. In some cases, Newton 1 may apply.

So it will be net force divided by the mass to get acceleration

First block: -(kx - umg)/m = a = [(-3.85N/m)(0.08m)+(0.100)(0.250kg)(9.81m/s2)]/0.250kg = -.0251m/s2

Second block [(-3.85N/m)(0.08m)-(0.100(0.250kg)(9.81m/s2)]/0.500kg = a negative number indicating that the friction force is too high and the block won't move?

Just apply

And that would be the answers.:smile:

FedEx said:
Just apply

And that would be the answers.:smile:

When I do that I obtain the same answers I got in the post above, so I assume they were right. And for part c I get answers that suggest both blocks aren't moved when the coefficient of friction is that strong.

Adrianw2 said:
When I do that I obtain the same answers I got in the post above, so I assume they were right. And for part c I get answers that suggest both blocks aren't moved when the coefficient of friction is that strong.

So for part c are you getting zero for a.

FedEx said:
So for part c are you getting zero for a.

Well, I'm getting answers where the force of friction is greater than kx meaning the blocks won't be able to go anywhere.

Thanks a bunch for all the help, I think I've got it all now.

Related to Spring Force and Acceleration with Friction

1. What is spring force and acceleration with friction?

Spring force and acceleration with friction is a concept in physics that explains the relationship between the force of a spring, the acceleration of an object, and the effects of friction. It is used to calculate the motion of objects that are subject to both a spring force and friction.

2. How does friction affect the motion of an object on a spring?

Friction can affect the motion of an object on a spring by slowing down the object's movement and reducing its acceleration. This is because friction creates a force that opposes the motion of the object, making it harder for the spring force to accelerate the object.

3. How do you calculate the spring force and acceleration with friction?

To calculate the spring force and acceleration with friction, you can use the formula F = -kx - μmg, where F is the net force, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position, μ is the coefficient of friction, and mg is the weight of the object.

4. What is the relationship between the spring force and acceleration with friction?

The relationship between the spring force and acceleration with friction is an inverse one. This means that as the spring force increases, the acceleration decreases, and vice versa. This is because friction acts as a resistance to the spring force, slowing down the acceleration of the object.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the spring force and acceleration?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. The higher the coefficient of friction, the greater the resistance to motion. This means that a higher coefficient of friction will result in a lower spring force and acceleration, as the friction force is stronger and opposes the spring force more.