Square of z-component of angular momentum eigenvalues

In summary, the conversation discusses demonstrating the relationship between the operator ##\hat{L}_z## and its eigenstate, showing that the operator's squared value is equal to the squared eigenvalue multiplied by the squared reduced Planck's constant. The conversation also mentions the use of the Hilbert-space formulation for easier calculations involving angular-momentum operators.
tomwilliam2

Homework Statement

I'm trying to demonstrate that if:

$$\hat{L}_z | l, m \rangle = m \hbar | l, m \rangle$$

Then

$$\hat{L}_z^2 | l, m \rangle = m^2 \hbar^2 | l, m \rangle$$

Homework Equations

$$\hat{L}^2 = \hat{L}_x^2 + \hat{L}_y^2 + \hat{L}_z^2$$
$$\hat{L}_z = -i\hbar \left [ x \frac{\partial}{\partial y} - y \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right ]$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to start with this. I can apply the operator ##\hat{L}_z^2## to an arbitrary function ##f(x,y)##, but that gives me:

$$\hat{L}_z^2 f(x,y) = \hbar^2\left(x^2 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} - xy \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} -xy \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \frac{\partial}{\partial y} + y^2 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} \right)f(x,y) $$
I've no idea if this demonstrates anything at all...

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't think too complicated. Just apply [itex]\hat{L}_z[/itex] twice to the eigenstate. Generally one can say that almost any calculation concerning angular-momentum operators is easier in the representation-free Hilbert-space formulation than using the differential operators of the position representation.

Likes 1 person

Related to Square of z-component of angular momentum eigenvalues

What is the square of the z-component of angular momentum?

The square of the z-component of angular momentum is a physical quantity that represents the spin angular momentum of a particle around the z-axis. It is calculated by squaring the z-component of the angular momentum vector.

What does the eigenvalue of the square of the z-component of angular momentum represent?

The eigenvalue of the square of the z-component of angular momentum represents the possible values that the square of the z-component of angular momentum can take on for a given system. It is a characteristic of the system and is used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a particle.

How is the square of the z-component of angular momentum related to the spin quantum number?

The square of the z-component of angular momentum is related to the spin quantum number, also known as the spin quantum state, by the equation J^2 = ℏ^2 * j(j+1), where j is the spin quantum number and ℏ is the reduced Planck's constant. This equation describes the allowed values for the square of the z-component of angular momentum for a particle with a given spin quantum number.

What is the significance of the square of the z-component of angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

The square of the z-component of angular momentum is significant in quantum mechanics because it is a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant in a closed system. It is also used to describe the energy levels and possible states of a particle, and is essential in determining the probability of a particle being in a certain state.

How is the square of the z-component of angular momentum measured in experiments?

The square of the z-component of angular momentum is measured in experiments using techniques such as electron spin resonance (ESR) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). In these techniques, a magnetic field is applied to a sample, and the energy levels of the particle's spin are measured. The square of the z-component of angular momentum can then be calculated from these measurements.